Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
That's actually a "Junior Jack Plane". It is shorter and narrower than the "standard" jack plane the SB #5. It is about 3 1/2" shorter than the #5, a 1/4" narrower and weighs a pound less. Look here for a full description: http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm#num5.25

Having said that, I wouldn't pay much more than the starting price for it. That's just me though, I'd prefer to have the additional size/weight of the #5.

I don't know what your preferences are for planes, so don't necessarily think I have the final word on it's value to you - just one man's opinion ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assure you that your words are invaluable to me. I don't own any planes yet and have little knowledge about them. But I like the idea or restoring or cleaning up an old one. Thank you for schooling me, I will keep looking.

·
Registered
326 Posts
A little tip when buying a plane or tool on line.

Make sure they have pics of all angles of the item.
Read the description of the item, stay away from any cracks in the bed, or frog, unless your looking for a "parts" plane and the price is way low. When looking at the pics, pay attention to the throat area, bed and so forth.

As trc65 posted
I don't know what your preferences are for planes, so don't necessarily think I have the final word on it's value to you - just one man's opinion ;)
Put it in your watch list, continue to browse at others or investigate that particular item.
You just might find a sweeter deal...;)

Here is a blog that might help you part two is good also
http://freshshavings.blogspot.com/2008/09/used-hand-planes-part-1-stanley-rule.html

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think that 40+ is the going rate for a clean, user #5. One that has been cleaned and can be used almost out of the box.

Age, model, rarity all impact the price from there.

If I recollect, I paid $35.00 for my first number 5. It was a WW II era plane, so not really rare or terribly collectable. I lapped the sole, sharpened the blade, and went to town.

·
Drives his wife nuts...
202 Posts
$40 is as high as I would go for a 5. You have to be careful though. Pick up one or two and the next thing you know you're trolling for specialty planes that start higher than that.

Currently hoping to score a router plane that will need work for under $50.

·
Registered
54 Posts
$40 is as high as I would go for a 5. You have to be careful though. Pick up one or two and the next thing you know you're trolling for specialty planes that start higher than that.

Currently hoping to score a router plane that will need work for under $50.
Figured I would chime in here.. I am selling one on eBay right now. Estate sale find No. 71 with depth stop and a blade. Knobs are nice too. :) my ebay name is toolmanaz. Don't know if it will sell below $50, but you can try.

Also, in regards to the OP I would skip this 5 1/4 for 50 bucks. 25 would be pushing it too considering it needs some updating. Keep looking and you will find one for 25-35 bucks that is in better shape. Good luck!

Pat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts