Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked this up at an estate sale today.
They had it for $50, but today was 75% off, so I paid $12.50.
Deal or no deal? It looks like its missing something, but not sure. Also is it a router plane?
And how do they work. I have an idea, but not sure. The blade is actually quite sharp.

image-811313357.jpg

image-2770541219.jpg

·
Banned
1 Posts
It is a router plane and at $12.50, you got a great buy. It is missing the fence, depth adjuster and a couple other cutters. They are great for cleaning up mortises and other joints. Nice score !!!

·
7,222 Posts
It is a router plane and at $12.50, you got a great buy. It is missing the fence, depth adjuster and a couple other cutters. They are great for cleaning up mortises and other joints. Nice score !!!
+1 on this being a router plane and at that price, quite a score.

I have a Lee Valley Veritas router plane, which is where I would go for new cutters and some instructions on how to use.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=52609&cat=1,41182,48945&ap=1

For more details on the #71 and the missing pieces, look at Supertool

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan10.htm

I use mine for cleaning the bottom of dado's. Can also be used to clean the cheeks on tenon's. A very useful addition to the tool arsenal. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
247 Posts
it looks like a type 13 1945-1952,it is missing the throat closing device and two blades,if you get blades make sure you get the ones with the slot up top of the blades for your depth adjuster,i got a type 5 1896-1901 first year they added the throat closing device ,for working small pieces,ill take a pic of the device for you in a few mins

·
Registered
247 Posts
heres is what you need,yours has the post for the throat closing has part has the main casting mine is two peices,but the attachment is the same all in all,and here is thethree blades that came with it.Again make sure they have the slot up top,mine dont because its older.its a nice feature,goodluck P.S. I would still do research on it best to learn the type is a round about,you should sharpen the blades a certain way I sent you the pics to help make it easy to get th parts

Attachments

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys.
I was shocked this was still at the sale, considering the sale started on Thursday. I also picked up a couple gouges and other chisels as well as a few misc things. All in all it was a good day.

·
Registered
247 Posts
for sure,I havent been able to find onebefore I needed it so I found a fair priced one on ebay.This is the type that I like a type5on the way it looks and has the throat closing attachment , but the later ones have better features for a user.It is A good deal and they seem to get harder and harder to find,outside of internet

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Awesome deal! I love the router plane. It is one of my go to tools for cleaning up tenon faces. It's great for that job, inlays, dutchman patches...a really versataile tool.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Nice tool at almost free price!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Dominick

·
18 TH. Century Furniture
26 Posts
#71 Stanley Router Plane

I have the instruction manual with mine. Shoot me a private email with your address and I will put a copy in the mail.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
David Turner said:
I have the instruction manual with mine. Shoot me a private email with your address and I will put a copy in the mail.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.
Thanks for the offer David.
Ill try getting back to you later on this.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I dont understand how it would act has a depth adjustment?you couldnt go past the sole?I was under the impression that the blade set the depth?also I was calling it that on the count john walter's book calls it that.Iam saying the throat closing device is only the foot, how can it set depth??maybe Iam missing soemthing?I know the baldes act as a sole.

·
recently retired
174 Posts
The "foot" can be placed "upside down" in the holder, whereby the set screw is not fixed. As cuts are taken the blade is advanced and cuts taken until the gap between the "set" distance on the foot and the top edge of the holder becomes zero at which time the dado depth is determined.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm just trying to figure out what the little threaded knob does That's on top?
I've tried it a few times and it works well.

·
7,222 Posts
I'm just trying to figure out what the little threaded knob does That's on top?
I've tried it a few times and it works well.
The knob on the top is the fine depth control. It should fit into a slot in the blade shaft.

This is from Supertool.com to show how the knob should fit into the slot in the blade.

Edit, adding link to Veritas instructions for their router plane. Not sure how much is common, but perhaps most is common or at least gives an idea for your plane.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/shopping/Instructions.aspx?p=52759

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ok I seebut thats not what its for?right,I mean in the book and a few other placs they describe it for working small pieces of wood has a added sole service.They call it a throat closeing device.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts