Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
7,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today a friend stopped by unexpectedly. He is a frequent visitor on a Saturday and often helps with my woodworking projects.

I had shown him some of the restorations and he helped with sand blasting some castings.

He was talking to a colleague about this. The colleague had a box of old planes handed down from the grandfather. Rather than give it to his son to ignore, he gave it to my friend to pass on to me.

Wow, what an incredible surprise.

A Stanley 45. I have no idea of type at this point, this is literally taking the items out of the box and documenting the as-received items.

Plane_45_as_received_1302.jpg

A lot of cutters for the 45. The box has a top, it is behind propping up this view to show the cutters. The wire hooks onto screws to keep the top in place.

Plane_45_blades_box_open_1300.jpg

A Stanley 48. Heavy, metal handle. The knob feels like a plastic.

Plane_48_as_received_1301.jpg

Various components, I think the blades are for the 48, the rods are for the 45 and a cabinet scraper and wooden block to hold the scraper.

Plane_box_components_as_received_1303.jpg

Some type of bull nose plane.

Plane_wood_routing_as_received_1298.jpg

Feeling very lucky today. :icon_smile:

Let me know if there are any specific details I should take pictures to explain any of this.

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
"Feeling very lucky today."
I would guess so. Just being able to touch history like that is amazing.:thumbsup:
Good for you. I can't think of a better person to get them...unless it was ME!:laughing:

·
7,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Feeling very lucky today."
I would guess so. Just being able to touch history like that is amazing.:thumbsup:
Good for you. I can't think of a better person to get them...unless it was ME!:laughing:
Thanks. I do wonder about the original owner. I think may have been only 1 or 2 owners.

I feel the same about feeling history through the tools. Someone used these to make a living perhaps for many decades.

These will become a valued part of my collection.

It looks like I have a new restoration project on the horizon.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Wow! What a great gift. Again I admire your love for the old iron and your talent for restoring them. Looking forward to the restore project.

·
Senior junior member
546 Posts
Nice score! It's good when something like that ends up in the hands of someone who can appreciate it.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
i believe that this is a reward for living with integrity and being generous. the big guy upstairs notices things like that.

aka karma

that is awesome

·
(clever wood pun here)
979 Posts
I was thinking the same as Chris on this one, Karma. Dave's given away a whole slew of hand and power tools to folks on the forum who are either just starting out, show an interest in hand tools, or are in need. There is balance in the world and these gems falling into your lap are proof. :thumbsup: Now I'll live vicariously through your good fortune and watch you tinker with them and use them!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Dave that is just too cool.I too am a great believer in karma enjoy the new tools.Watch out for that wooden plane if that gets a grip of you you`ll have to start learning about things like spring angles AWWWWWW the slippery slope.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looks like pictures of the Evaporust poster children!

Good score esp. the box of cutters with the 45.
Are the cutters really rusty too?

The molding plane looks almost good to go with a little clean up on the cutter.

Should be interesting to see how these turn out.

·
7,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like pictures of the Evaporust poster children!

Good score esp. the box of cutters with the 45.
Are the cutters really rusty too?

The molding plane looks almost good to go with a little clean up on the cutter.

Should be interesting to see how these turn out.
Yes, typical sad shape for a lot of old tools. Left to slowly rust either due to high moisture, or just not being oiled occasionally.

No, the cutters are not really rusty. The wooden box helped.

The 48 is in Evapo-Rust. Only a spring loaded pin left to free up. Everything else came apart.

The 45 is not doing well. I managed to break a side while trying to free the rods. Not feeling a happy camper at the moment. :thumbdown:

·
7,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice of your friend to give those to you.

What exactly did you break, Dave? The wooden fence? I've got several rosewood slabs if you need to replace it.
Yes a very nice surprise from my friend. Thanks for the offer, I wish it was a wooden piece.

Sad to say I broke the handle side of the casting where the farthest rod goes through the casting. I had sanded the rod, but it was a bit tight and in hindsight I did not support the casting correctly. Kicking myself.

So now I will have to look for some major parts. Some days the woodworking gods give, and then some days they take.

·
7,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The now broken No. 45

The overall picture. The break is on the right side rod.

Plane_Stanley_45_cracked_1308.jpg

Closeup of the break. I think the rust is all that it holding this together.

Plane_Stanley_45_cracked_closeup_2_1309.jpg

I was trying to take this apart for the rust removal step. I did sand the rod, but not enough. Drat, drat and double drat. :furious:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts