Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there's some information in here about what I need but I haven't been able to find it so I'll go ahead and ask.
I'm trying to build a coffee table/storage box for my daughter out of an oak barrel. I know that some of you have built them and was wondeirng if you could give me some pointers on how and what to use. I'm hoping to split it from top to bottom by just cutting the bands and splitting it down the side by spreading the two staves along themiddle. Does that make since? I know that I'll need some screws in the bands to hold the staves in place and keep it from falling apart, but I was needing in-put on what type of screws( or self taping screews )to use. Any and all help or info will be much apreciated as I really want this to be nice for her.
I still need to figure out how I'm going to put a base on it also.
Until then I'll be figureing out how to mount some astrodome seats for my sons "man cave" :laughing:
Thanks ahead of time folks.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Corrosion is an electrical process with two dissimilar/unlike metals. Barrel bands and SS screws would be enough to get it going in wet conditions. However, in your application, the setup will be quite dry. Personally, I think that brass or copper would be a nicer accent.

Copper, brass and SS screws are found at a chandler's. Usually several in any seaport.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stainless steel screws

OK, so I guess I'll go with brass screws for the bands even though the bands apear to be galvenized.
So what size would you suggest I use?anyone?
If I knew how to send a message to Jack I could ask him and get his input on it , but.......
On this project I feel like a blind man stumbling in the dark in a strange room, I need all the help I can get.lol
Want to thank you guys for the help so far.
JT

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Be careful with brass screws as they're really soft....pre drilling is a must.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts