Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gentlemen,

I've been making extremely long skateboards for myself since I was a teen because I'm tall and clumsy and enjoy the surfing, cruising aspect more than orthodox boards allow. I've always dreamed of making one with a finish on it that looks like a real surfboard, but I'm stuck with the following conundrum:

I want classy stripes down this shaped plank of poplar under a few coats of polyurethane. The effect should look something like what this attractive young lady's board looks like in the below.

Optimally, I'd love to retain the natural grain of the wood. I've been testing various stains, but since the wood is fairly porous it soaks under the hi-quality frog tape I'm using. I tried scoring a fine line alongside the tape to stop the stain, but the stain is too thick by far.

My next guess was going to be using the polyurethane on the clear area, then tape over the polyurethane (???) then staining my racing stripes and hoping for fine enough lines. But I'm just grasping at straws and admittedly have no idea what I'm doing, and the more professionals I ask, the more apparent it becomes that I'm trying to do something that simply isn't done.

I'm aware that it would be far easier to split the board in three pieces and stain the middle piece, reattaching them afterward as would be intuitive with a nice end table or some such furniture, but naturally, I can't do that with this project.

So I come to you, o' wood gurus.

Cheers to everyone in advance,

-Sean

Attachments

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
To be serious...make your board, and glue stained veneer on before applying poly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah, she's good talent for sure, ha ha!

To be serious...make your board, and glue stained veneer on before applying poly
Wow, Ryan, veneer...That would be easy for sure.

There's one pretty serious complication with the veneer, though. That stripe needs to go all the way around the board (top, bottom, and both ends). The top is round, though, and the edges are well-rounded, too. I can't image the veneer could be wrapped around that.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Where does it stand now? You've tried staining? Did you try poly on it yet?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The board is shaped and sanded without the eight holes drilled that I'll need to attach the trucks and wheels.

I haven't tried staining, painting or poly yet. All my experiments have been on scraps off the same plank (which are running out).

·
Premium Member
4,831 Posts
you could apply clear poly to everything. The mask off around the area you want painted and go ahead and paint it. Then go over everything again with several coats of clear.
This will completely eliminate the paint from creeping under the masking tape - if applied properly. This will will only work with a painted stripe - not stain.

If you want to go with stain instead, the quickest easiest way would be as previously stated: slice the board, stain the middle piece and re-glue everything back together. Why cant you do that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Because the board absolutely needs the utmost integrity and strength, particularly on the sides. Can't have someone pushing a hard turn and 1/3 of the board cracks apart.

Sigh, I really wish I could keep the grain rather than painting over it, but I guess there just really isn't any way.

Thanks for tryin, though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts