Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a piece of wood that needs finishing. It's going to see pretty rough use in my game of choice, hurling. Right now it's just a plain piece of ash. What I want to do is perhaps add something like a stain to it, to make it more unique. I was going to just go to home depot and slap something pretty on it, but I decided I'd come to a place where I could get good advice first. So to my questions:

1. Will staining my hurl weaken it, or alter it's performance?
2. Should I apply linseed oil or something else to protect the wood after a staining? Before? Or perhaps instead of?

Any and all advice will be appreciated. I am definitely inexperienced with wood working, so even if it's basic it will be useful to me. Also, if anyone was curious I will add a link to a brief video showcasing what game it is I am talking about.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmzivRetelE

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like all the balls shown are white. Am I missing something?
Also shows a great way to get your teeth knocked out.:blink:
Bill
The stick is what I am going to be working with. And helmets are mandatory in the college level games. My teeth should be fine, which is more than I can say for the bones in my hands! :sweatdrop:

After reading a bit more on it, I think I will just be applying some coats of oil and letting it cure.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.