Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stained a pine coffee table that i made. Walked inside, and it rained lightly on the table. not enough to puddle and I caught it and wiped it down within 15 minutes. water marks were left allover the top......lookin for another opinion on what to do....I plan on using a tung oil to finish....any help would help thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not really an expert in finishing, but have a little experience. You could try just reapplying the stain, but it may darken the original finish, still leaving you with spots, just darker spots. Your best bet is probably to sand back to a uniform finish, then re-apply the stain. If it was just one or two spots, I would probably try to re-stain just the spots. But, with so many, that would be way too much work and you would probably miss a bunch.

Hopefully someone with more expertise has an easier solution.

·
Registered
27,647 Posts
I think now that it has dried you will have to lightly re-sand the table and re-stain it. Try not to take too much color off. You mainly just need to sand it where the water has raised the grain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's solid pine, and i used Miniwax "gunstock" stain. It already turned out as dark as I wanted it to, so if im gonna sand,(which i kinda figured i would have to now) im gonna sand most all color out in hopes that it doesn't turn out too much darker. I just wasn't sure if I had other options someone could turn me on to......It got rained on ten minutes after i stained it and it became very tacky. (like if you mixed water and stain). I wasnt sure if a conditioner or simply putting the tongue oil on it would be a more simpler remedy. thanks for the help.....

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Don't sand it till you try wiping it down with mineral spirits on a rag. Before it dries you will get a good idea of what it's going to look like when you finish it. You also might try the wipe on finish your going to use. Thin coat wiped on with a rag. Wipe it off and see.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Also. If you sand it off. It may not stain again like it did the first time. Stains have some varnish resins it and it may have sealed the grain keeping the stain from penetrating.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also. If you sand it off. It may not stain again like it did the first time. Stains have some varnish resins it and it may have sealed the grain keeping the stain from penetrating.

Al

Thats what im afraid of. Im gonna try the mineral spirits. I wasnt sure if I put tongue oil on it that it would sand down the same...

·
Registered
27,647 Posts

Al

Thats what im afraid of. Im gonna try the mineral spirits. I wasnt sure if I put tongue oil on it that it would sand down the same...
While I've never had a piece of furniture get rained on after staining I have often had sweat drip on stained work. It takes some of the color out as well as raises the grain. If you just stain over it again the spot that was wet will stain darker than the rest of it but if you just smooth the raised grain out it will blend in. It's not necessary or wanted to sand all the color out because you will never get it all and the linseed oil in the stain will prevent it from staining as dark or uniform again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help. Im gonna try a very fine sand to blend it in. My only problem is that the grain goes so many different directions I gotta use an orbital.

·
Registered
27,647 Posts
I tried wipin it with mineral spirits to see, and it looked the same just wet.
Try using the stain on part of it and see what it does. I've never had that much of it at once but I normally sand it immediately while the stain is wet and re-apply the stain and the spots go away. Now that the stain is dry, you've done all you can do by re-sanding it. It will re-stain alright or it won't. If it still looks spotty you may have to use paint and varnish remover and take the stain off and start over. If you have to strip it, Kleen Strip remover used with a water rinse works pretty good removing stain.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
One of the problems you're fighting is that rainwater contains lots of minerals and other contaminates that it picks up as its fall through the atmosphere. The contaminates will generally color differently than the wood that did not see any rain drops.

If your project had not yet been stained, I would have recommended that you apply oxalic acid bleach which normally does a good job removing mineral stains. At this point I don't have a good suggestion and maybe stripping off the stain using a chemical stripper containing methylene chloride followed by a chlorine bleach. This may get you back to square one and you can start over.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts