Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to wood working.. I am building a bench for outdoors out of cedar. I want it to be protected and have a darker finish. Any ideas of a stain / sealer in one that I could find on amazon or other known retailers?

Also, if I shouldn't be using a stain / sealer, but some other finishing product instead please do let me know. Thanks!

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

I am fairly new to wood working.. I am building a bench for outdoors out of cedar. I want it to be protected and have a darker finish. Any ideas of a stain / sealer in one that I could find on amazon or other known retailers?

Also, if I shouldn't be using a stain / sealer, but some other finishing product instead please do let me know. Thanks!
I would use Penofin Red Label. It's an all in one stain and penetrating oil, with a high UV rating. A very easy upkeep over a film finish.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I would use Penofin Red Label. It's an all in one stain and penetrating oil, with a high UV rating. A very easy upkeep over a film finish.

By the way, can I use ANY color stain for ANY wood.. or do I have to choose a stain color finish that matches the wood? For example, I see with Penofin they have "cedar" as a choose of color. But they also have some nice darker finishes like "bark" which I think I prefer...

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
Take a look at Sikkens.
We've used it on decks and railings as well as entire log cabins. Holds up very well and very easy to apply.
As you can see in the HD link above, you can get it in various color shades. No need to prestain with Sikkens or Penofin.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
By the way, can I use ANY color stain for ANY wood.. or do I have to choose a stain color finish that matches the wood? For example, I see with Penofin they have "cedar" as a choose of color. But they also have some nice darker finishes like "bark" which I think I prefer...

You can use any color.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take a look at Sikkens.
We've used it on decks and railings as well as entire log cabins. Holds up very well and very easy to apply.
As you can see in the HD link above, you can get it in various color shades. No need to prestain with Sikkens or Penofin.
Does it matter generally which type of color you choose? For example, I have this cedar.. do I need to buy a cedar color..or can I choose any finish color for any wood?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts