Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've explained and explained to this guy I shouldn't do it... let it cure...

Seems there's no way around it so he wants me to stain and urethane a bedframe by Thursday. Espresso color... and it only comes in stain/urethane combo at any store local enough to get it in time..

Should I do a 2nd and/or 3rd coat of clear urethane after to help prevent cracking? What about sap seeping through?

Any tips for working with the stain/urethane combo product?

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
I'd blend my own stain and then use a spar varnish. I agree, though, this is going to be a headache for you.

I have to ask; why are you building furniture with green wood?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well... we'll see now I suppose.

The boss man came down on me despite all my complaining. Fk that low rank guy who works with the product... I looks at numbers and run a business... =\

·
Registered
576 Posts
A bid cause of blistering and peeling is moisture behind a film finish trying to get out and or preventing adhesion. Starting with damp wood seems a "don't do it" thing. The more layers of poly put on, the less moisture can escape but it does NEED to escape.
The too hard comment was on. Spar varnish or spar urethane used in boats or outdoor stuff is a bit more flexible to allow for seasonal movement but not initial shrinkage of green wood drying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts