Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, new to the forum and need some advice/help. I have done woodworking for years, off and on, turned out some pretty nice pieces(not professional!) but always had issues with finish. In the past years, most of the finish I have done has been oil base stain, with poly on top (fairly easy) and have dabbled in the wb stain/poly. The water base stain I have used before impresses me as almost coming out as paint instead of stain, and also now I can't find any wb stain other than a MW "special mix" anywhere near me. I'd like to try the wb dye, and see general finishes, "Mixol" "Transfast" and "Transtint". Which is preferred/easier/better? opinions? Also after applying the dye, a top coat finish. I see threads about applying shellac and other comments. After the dye, can you apply the top coat such as wb poly ? and will an oil based product work over the dye such as the gf arm r seal? I know this is very basic stuff for alot of you here, but I'm wanting to get to WB finishes and I haven't found anything written to help clear up these questions... w.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, I guess everyone here is as confused as I am on WB stains and dyes... Was hoping for some knowlege... w.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Walt,
As another suggestion, I've found that General water based stains are rather good. I've had good luck with them. They are almost a gel stain and seem to work like the "Penetrating" oil stains of old.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CabinetMan, Thanks for the links, they were good info!
Rich, Thanks for the info, I'm probably going to end up with general finishes products. There isnt' anyone around me carrying wb products, so will have to either order or drive a couple of hours to get to woodcraft(maybe next week)
Also I was wondering if anyone was using the powder or liquid mix dies... w.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
CabinetMan, Thanks for the links, they were good info!
Rich, Thanks for the info, I'm probably going to end up with general finishes products. There isnt' anyone around me carrying wb products, so will have to either order or drive a couple of hours to get to woodcraft(maybe next week)
Also I was wondering if anyone was using the powder or liquid mix dies... w.
i use both. mohawk pig dust, ( pigment powder ). and cal-tint for liquid.
i prefure the liquid. though i dont use alot dies work well blending with the medium, there a bit potent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts