Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am told that stain will not soak into wood filler, is this true? If so, how can I go about finishing a project that I have put trim on and have small gaps at the corners where the trim meets. I was going to use wood filler, sand and stain, but I guess I can't do that now. Thanks for any advice.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Stains will penetrate wood putty. Problem is getting the color right. You may have to experiment with different putties. Some can be tinted. Once stained put your topcoat on, as that will change the color.

An alternative would be to do the staining and finishing, and then use a blend fill pencil, or blending sticks. They are like crayons. Easy to use. Just rub into the area, and wipe off with a clean cloth. Those type fillers are also available in little jars. That material can be mixed together within the brand to get different shades.

Or, you can use shellac sticks. They get melted and put in the gap usually with a putty knife or a small spatula.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cabinetman, I'm new so this is the first time finishing with red oak, I'll experiment in several pieces first

·
Registered
26,214 Posts
I am told that stain will not soak into wood filler, is this true? If so, how can I go about finishing a project that I have put trim on and have small gaps at the corners where the trim meets. I was going to use wood filler, sand and stain, but I guess I can't do that now. Thanks for any advice.
Some brands of wood putties have a higher concentration of the binder and don't stain very well. Plastic Wood is one of them. It not only doesn't stain very well if you don't sand the wood very well it will leave a halo where you got excess on the surface. I prefer to use Famowood putty. It will accept stain very well but since it has less of the binder sometimes you have to putty a spot two or three times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts