Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Relatively new to woodworking here. I'm building a bar with a top made of cedar. I'm not sure if the type of cedar has a special name, but they are well-cut, reddish planks that were pretty expensive. I like the way they look unstained, but I'd like to add something to deepen the color. I obviously want to add some sort of finish to protect it from spills as well.

I'm hoping you guys can share some wisdom and tell me the best way to stain and finish this thing. Each of my previous projects I've used Minwax and polyurethane, but I don't want to ruin this expensive wood! Any other do's and dont's would be helpful too! Thanks!

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
Relatively new to woodworking here. I'm building a bar with a top made of cedar. I'm not sure if the type of cedar has a special name, but they are well-cut, reddish planks that were pretty expensive. I like the way they look unstained, but I'd like to add something to deepen the color. I obviously want to add some sort of finish to protect it from spills as well.

I'm hoping you guys can share some wisdom and tell me the best way to stain and finish this thing. Each of my previous projects I've used Minwax and polyurethane, but I don't want to ruin this expensive wood! Any other do's and dont's would be helpful too! Thanks!
Does the wood smell like a cedar chest?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts