Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to make a few hundred 1" lap joints. I have been using a dado blade (avanti) to make 3/4" cuts and then scooting the wood over to remove the last 1/4" but I was wondering if it would be safe to buy another set of dado blades and then combine the choppers to get a 1" cut. If it makes any difference I am using an 8" dado blade on a 10" saw so there is some extra power there. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would not do that. Dado blades make a higher load than a 10" saw blade. What is the HP of your saw? Saw HP that plus / or the length of your arbor will limit the size of what you can load. My 10" saw will barely do a 3/4" dado and I am pushing it with only a 1 HP contractors saw and a 8" dado set.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The motor is 1.5hp Jet. I am not to worried about power; the cuts are 2" long through softwood. How about combining different brands of dado blades? I am using my cheap avanti set to save my freud blades but would it be alright to use the freud choppers with the avanti blades if the dimensions match up?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help mdntrdr. It looks like the arbor is going to create a problem for this though. I'll only be able to thread the bolt half way on with a 1" dado. Do you think this is enough? Or is there a place I could look for a longer arbor? It seems to me it would be sufficient but it'll be one hell of a problem if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I think it'll be tough to find matching blades from different brands that are close enough in exact diameter to not leave significant ridges.....not to mention the arbor length issue already mentioned.

A 1" straight router bit (1/2" shank) might do the trick nicely if you've got a router with enough oomph.

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
Wouldn't that somehow affect my blade balance? If not then that solves it.
I have done many operations without the arbor flange/washer. Just nut to blade. There will be no problems as long as you have a full nut or better. :smile:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I don't use the washer with the dado blade. States right on my blade that no washer needed

·
where's my table saw?
28,172 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts