Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· where's my table saw?
32,682 Posts
table saw lesson

"curved face in , curved side out" The side against the fence must be straight it will wil duplicate the same curve on the cut side. It may be slightly less curved, but still not straight.

So what to do now?
The jig posted above is one easy way, but you'd have to make the jig. Another way is to use a long straight piece between the curve and the fence to "act" like that side is straight. Like this steel barn door track:
You must move the work and the "track" simultaneously together and keep them both pressed in toward the fence.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/door-build-2-xs-1-4-ply-55717/
OR you could also attach a piece to stock with a few brad nails to register against the fence which would do the same thing.
OR you can use just a straight edge guide and a circular saw and work to a line or dimension marked on the workpiece. Then once one side is straight, recut them on the tablesaw.

· where's my table saw?
32,682 Posts
I don't know your skill level...

But let's assume it's beginner by the question. DO NOT attempt what I did. :no: I have a splitter on the saw that will prevent the work from rotating off the fence resulting in a kickback. I also have some years of experience with the saw, including kickbacks. My splitter stays on the table saw permanently.

You should use an attached straight piece on the fence side of the work. Just tack the straight piece on the top of the plywood with some brad nails. Make the pass and then remove the attached board. Then make the opposite side pass and you will have 2 parallel sides.

The ends may not be square to the sides, however. Squaring all 4 sides of a panel in not an easy process without a large table saw and either a sled or at least one square corner to start with.
Here's what I use with a circular saw:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/4-x-8-panel-cross-cuts-10476/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.