Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good square square? I bought one from a box store a while back and just realized the outside is square but the inside is off by a couple of degrees.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Square ones! I don't know. What types are there? I need it mostly to set my machines to 90 and check that my jointing is accurate.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Incra
Woodpeckers
BridgeCity They're finishing these ones now so if you gave them a call you'd probably be able to still get one.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
It sounds as though the square being OK on the outside but off on the inside is a framing square.

As a WAG, there is drop of clear protective finish on one of the legs of the framing square. Just scrape it off and everything should be fine. If there is no globs of finish, take the square back to the big box for another one.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The 1281 square is the final word in my shop. Always keep it in it's box, never leave it lying around. Also, use it to check my 'working' squares.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have a bunch of precision squares I've purchased at auctions. Got them all for great prices.

I have an 11" Browne & Sharp, Rabone and a set of wood river. I check my combination squares with them from time to time to make sure they are good.

I also check my table saw setups, jointer fence/knife alignment and I use them for scribing lines.

All together, I think I have about $30 in the group I have.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For machine setup, it's hard to find anything more accurate than a plastic drafting square.

Here's a few different square types... http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,403568-2,00.html :smile:
I bought a pack of these for about $12 at Office Max a couple of days ago. They're thin, cheap feeling, and over priced, but they do seem to be quite accurate. I just wish they weren't translucent. It makes checking for light gaps more difficult.

I might buy these at some point: http://www.amazon.com/Piece-Engineers-Square-Set-Case/dp/B001DT16PK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts