Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys have a preference between square drive and Torx drive for construction screws? I'm getting a little tired of Phillips. I gotta put a lot of downward pressure on the screw or the bit will slip out. I'm thinking about getting some wood screws that are a little more high tech.

·
SS user
2,689 Posts
I like Torx screws. But won't buy any til my supply of Phillips and square drives are exhausted. I guess I won't be getting any Torx screws.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I've long thought there should be a federal law mandating all screws be square drive :laughing: (except the ones used in drywall). 2 sizes of drivers fit like 70% of the screws, and 4 or 5 (can't remember) fit 100%. Much better than the 20 sizes of slotted/phillips/clutch/torx/square/whatever I currently have to keep on hand. That said, I really like Torx, and would actually prefer them if there were fewer driver sizes...I'm more in favor of the minimalist approach.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Phillips are designed to cam out at a certain point, thank you Henry Ford.. I really have no preference of torx over square drive. I like the Robertson drive the best. They have sort of a morse taper so they won't fall off the bit. I have found some dual drive that will take either a phillips or a square drive. As far as Torx drivers go, a T-15, T-20 and T-25 will get most anything done until you get into automotive work. S1 and S2 will do most square drive and P1, P2 and P3 will handle phillips. :smile:

Reactions: del schisler

·
Registered
401 Posts
I use 4 inch square drive screws frequently, and don't have slipping issues.... Nothing worse than having a Phillips
Strip 3 inches in....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I prefer torx screw over any of the others. Being a carpenter I have driven in thousands if not millions the way it seems any way of every type and by far I like the torx the best.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Just two cents here...

There are two types of Philips driver bits. One is for normal screws while the other is for hardened screws. I would suggest using the driver bit in a extension that is intended for the hardened screws. This bit will last much longer than the other style bit. I've seen these bits for hardened screws at both HD and Lowes. BTW - Galvanized screws seem to require about a zillion times more torque to drive the screws.

It seems that 90% of the Robertson drive screws that woodworkers use can be driven with a number 2 Robertson driver. BTW - When the Robertson screw won't stay on the drive bit un aided, it is time to change the driver bit. It seems that the Robertson driver bits that have a separate square piece of metal imbedded into the shaft last longer than a completely machined driver bit.

As for the Torx drive screws, just too many numbers. The numbers indicate size but have no "real" meaning to me. I have a full set of Torx driver bits but use them only when necessary.

IMHO, the Robertson drive system is probably the most adaptable available. The Robertson drive is very easy to seat the driver without seeing the screw head.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
If I had to choose I would go with Torx over square. I have also found that its easier to drive screws (even square) with an impact driver when working on a ladder driving screws in a horizontal direction. Using a regular drill driver I stripped several square head screws but did not have a problem with an impact driver.
Tom

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'll give you a part number and a link if you tell me which size. T15, T20, T25... ?

Both T-20 and T-25. What I'd really like to be able to do is walk into Ace or HD or Lowes or WC and just pick up one (or some) when I need one because I just lost the last one of the last six I bought.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Both T-20 and T-25. What I'd really like to be able to do is walk into Ace or HD or Lowes or WC and just pick up one (or some) when I need one because I just lost the last one of the last six I bought.
Ah, but the good stuff is not at Home Depot or Lowes. You
gotta go to a good industrial supply store for the good stuff. :smile:

T20 = APEX 49-C-TX-20
T25 = APEX 49-C-TX-25

http://mrotools.com/49-c-tx-20-apex-1-4-torx-power-drive-bits.aspx

http://mrotools.com/49-c-tx-25-apex-Torx-1-4-hex-power-drive-shank-bits.aspx

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Some time ago, I read that the Phillips lobby was stronger than the Robertson lobby in the US marketplace. That's why it has turned out that way. For wood working in Canada, I see that the Robertson is a far more common and readily available design. Not long ago, I read that the Chinese have settled on the Robertson design and built a number of mfg plants to make them.
I used to use Robertson #6 but switched to a dozen(?) sizes of #8.
Think that I have a 2lb can of #8 x 1 1/2 in the shop. For outdoor fencing, etc, give me a few pounds of #12 or #14.
I think the Torx design, another socket head, is good but they are really hard to find.

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. It's about 900 miles out of the way for me, but I do appreciate you providing a source.
Well, you can always mail order from that place, or find another source by Googling the part numbers...

That's why I gave you the part numbers; in case you didn't like the links I provided.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts