Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built an end table out of red oak , and finished it with laquer in a spray can. It has begun to flake off the table legs. I used shellac
as a sealer on the raw wood , and no stain .What did I do wrong , and how do I strip it off to re-finish it.

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used Zinsser bullseye shellac in an aerosol spray can. The can said it could be used for sealing furniture.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think you have waxed shelac. You need the Zinsser conditoner, this is wax free. I perfer to mixe flake has it is esier to make small batches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you have waxed shelac. You need the Zinsser conditoner, this is wax free. I perfer to mixe flake has it is esier to make small batches.
I am going to strip the table and wipe it down with alcohol. Do you think that will remove any wax from the old shelac>
Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The solvent in the lacquer caused the shellac to "melt".

Strip the shellac and seal with lacquer sanding sealer; sand this lightly with 220 grit and then two coats of lacquer (no sanding between coats--the lacquer reamalgamates (melts the previous coat) so the finishing process goes pretty quickly).

Wait several days for the lacquer to "cure" before rubbing out, if desired.

As a rule of thumb, you can put a "cold" finish (like polyurethane) over lacquer but not a "hot" finish (lacquer) over a cold one. The lacquer will almost always ruin the previous finish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts