Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined last night, been reading through some of the posts here and I have to say it is very interesting. I am in the middle of making a couple window seats on the honey do list.

They are red oak, I am looking for a good, fast drying, preferably oil based urethane that gives a good finish when sprayed. I have been using Zar ultramax water borne oil modified urethane. It dries fast, can sand and recoat in a couple hours. The problem is, it gives a kind of rough finish, almost like it is drying in the air before it gets applied.

Any suggestions? I really hate waiting for urethane to dry.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Just joined last night, been reading through some of the posts here and I have to say it is very interesting. I am in the middle of making a couple window seats on the honey do list.

They are red oak, I am looking for a good, fast drying, preferably oil based urethane that gives a good finish when sprayed. I have been using Zar ultramax water borne oil modified urethane. It dries fast, can sand and recoat in a couple hours. The problem is, it gives a kind of rough finish, almost like it is drying in the air before it gets applied.

Any suggestions? I really hate waiting for urethane to dry.
If it seems that way, your air pressure out of the gun could be too high for the amount of fluid output. Or the fluid output is too low. Or, you are too far from the subject matter. Or, the pattern is too wide. Or, you are moving too fast. Or combinations of the previous.

An oil base finish wouldn't dry that fast. It may need to be thinned a bit.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it seems that way, your air pressure out of the gun could be too high for the amount of fluid output. Or the fluid output is too low. Or, you are too far from the subject matter. Or, the pattern is too wide. Or, you are moving too fast. Or combinations of the previous.

An oil base finish wouldn't dry that fast. It may need to be thinned a bit.

I've tried several different things that you mentioned. Just cant seem to get a decent finish with that stuff unless I brush it on. Still seems to raise the wood grain a lot too. Is there any fast drying oil based? I understand that it wont dry quite as fast but three or four hours would be nice.

·
Registered
26,862 Posts
If you are just putting a clear coat on red oak without staining it I think you would be better off with the Zar finish. An oil based urethane will yellow as it ages where the Zar would remain clear. The water base finish looks kinda bland though. You might put a coat of linseed oil on the wood first to bring out the grain and then seal it with a coat of Zinsser Sealcoat. As far as the way the Zar is spraying sometimes you can adjust the gun or air pressure and sometimes it is necessary to thin the finish a little. There should be no reason the finish shouldn't spray alright.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts