Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Jeff G
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't fast enough to finish a couple of projects before the weather here (Pittsburgh) got cold. My question is, how much of a problem is it if I spray (HVLP) water based varnish in, say, 50 degree weather?

I spray in my garage (usually used for cars...my shop is in my basement and I won't spray indoors) and can theoretically put a couple of space heaters in the there to warm up the space a bit, but the garage isn't insulated so I don't know how effect that would be. Also, let's say I do warm up the garage just before spraying, do I need to keep it warm while the finish drys?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Waterbornes take a warmer temp to dry, but they dry fairly quickly. Your best bet may be to call the manufacturer of your finish, but it's my guess that 50° may be manageable. Even so, I would warm the room up a little for the application as well as for a short drying time. I have used them down to 60° and had no problems.

·
Registered
26,848 Posts
On flat surfaces you would probably be alright applying the finish as long as it was above freezing. On any vertical surfaces you may have to put it on very thin to prevent runs since the cold will greatly extend the drying time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts