Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice on purchase of paint sprayers. Please advise about Hvlp sprayers and sprayers that you use with compressors. Would like latex and oil base and stains.

·
Registered
26,992 Posts
I don't care for the HVLP sprayers. They tend to spray more air than paint and consequently need a bigger compressor. I use a siphon sprayer #97855 I get at harbor freight for about 20 bucks with a coupon. It will spray any wood finish but no cup gun is very good to spray latex paint. You have to thin it so much it doesn't cover very will and takes multiple coats to get the job done. Latex paint is better sprayed with an airless sprayer or a conventional sprayer with a pressure pot. The EPA is the ones pushing the HVLP sprayers because of automotive painting. A professional auto painter is required to use one or a amateur that paints more than two cars a year. There is no restrictions on most wood finishes. Oil based stains spray fine in a sprayer. I prefer to use them. It makes the job a lot easier to spray the stain on and then wipe it off. I don't normally use water based stains and the ones I use I just spray it on and leave it to dry.

·
Registered
26,992 Posts
The siphon sprayer works much like some HVLP sprayers except the HVLP sprayer has a baffle in it to soften the air more. The siphon sprayer just sprays air past the nozzle drawing paint out of the cup. The gravity feed HVLP works like it sounds. The paint is in a cup above the nozzle and when you pull the trigger the paint just pours out and the air blowing by it makes a mist of it. I have one of those but only use it when I use a two part paint that I need to use every drop. There are some paints, especially automotive paints that once you mix it you have to either use it all or throw away what is left over. This is where the gravity feed gun comes in handy. The siphon sprayer always has a ounce or so of paint left in the cup when it runs out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts