Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get into spraying finishes and could use some guidance on getting the gun set up.

I think I mostly need to learn about determining how much pressure to use and adjusting the fluid control.

I've got a Devilbiss Plus HVLP conversion gun.
I'm shooting KTM Waterterborne lacquer that goes 12 seconds in a ford cup
I'm using a 1.4 tip per KTM's recommendation, but also have 1.2 1.3 1.6 and 1.8

The manufacturer recommends 25-30 Psi inlet pressure

I really don't know where to set the fluid control and shooting at 25 PSI seems high.

I'm hoping there's some science behind this.

If anyone is willing to exchange a few posts about setting up the gun, I'd appreciate it a lot.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys.

Yes, it is a gravity gun. I've read about guys opening the fluid all the way and feathering by touch, but I don't think I'm nearly that good. That's why I'm mostly looking for guidance on where to set that fluid control. I'm spraying a banjo resonator, so if I open the fan control all the way, I'll do the whole thing in one pass. That's good, I guess, but not what I imagined.

So, if I'm not opening the fluid control all the way, how many turns should I open it to start out? Remember..... I don't know what I'm doing! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.