Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on a picture fame for a painting we have. Thanks, by the way, to Hands Made For Wood for his great tutorial, which I used to make the frame.

When I got to the part about cutting the slots for the splined corners I had to make the jig. So I spent my shop time yesterday evening building this jig and I thought it turned out decent enough to share. It's my own variation of the 'ole standard. The hold-down block is adjustable for different widths. Parts can be replaced easily enough if/when/as needed.

Wood Architecture Plywood Tool Marble

Tool Table Tool accessory Wood

Wood Table Architecture Furniture Plywood

Product Machine Wood Table Wood shaper

Wood

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With frame pieces in place.

And here's what it looks like with parts in place and ready to be cut.

Wood Table Furniture Plywood Tool accessory

Wood Furniture Plywood

Stairs Wood Machine Tool accessory

Wood Tool

Tool accessory Wood Table Metalworking hand tool Tool

It's used alongside the rip fence. A stop block is clamped to the table saw's rip fence to limit forward travel, allowing the highest point of the blade to pass the back side of the workpiece while preventing risk of the jig being cut more than necessary (and screws from being cut into).

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good, think you'll get a long life out of it too! Is that mdf for the side? Then ply for the rest right?
Correct. I wish I'd used proper MDF/particle board screws. I got a little splitting along the outside edges of the MDF. I should have just used plywood for the side instead of MDF. Oh well. It's nice and solid and should serve its purpose just fine.

Oh, the stop blocks are made from 2x4.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Chaincarver Steve said:
Correct. I wish I'd used proper MDF/particle board screws. I got a little splitting along the outside edges of the MDF. I should have just used plywood for the side instead of MDF. Oh well. It's nice and solid and should serve its purpose just fine.

Oh, the stop blocks are made from 2x4.
Thanks. I've been wanting to make one, but no need for it yet so i'm just picking up ideas. Thanks for sharing yours.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How to use.

I took pictures of the setup procedure I observed when setting up the jig for use. Maybe some one will find this useful, as it's applicable to virtually any spline jig of this nature.

The first thing I did was number all of the corners. At the first corner, I numbered BOTH pieces "1". Next corner "2". And so on.

Wood Plywood

I then measured along the MITER (not along the outside edge) to determine what depth I can get away with. Don't want to be too deep or too shallow. I decided on 1 1/16".

Ruler Wood Finger Tool

Set the rule ON the jig's base.

Tool Wood Backsaw Table woodworking

And set the blade height.

Jigsaw puzzle Saw Tool Blade

With the blade set to height, put the jig against the fence (but beside the blade) and align to the max travel point.

Art Font Calligraphy

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sight to ensure that the blade's apex will completely exit the workpiece.

Circular saw Saw Tool Table saw Blade

Clamp a stop block to the fence to ensure that the jig can be pushed no further.

Table saw Tool Jointer Machine Tool accessory

Using my trusty depth gauge (these are sold at auto parts stores are tire tread gauges. I use this thing quite often. You need one in your shop :thumbsup: ), I determined where I want the edge of the kerf to begin.

Finger Tool Cutting tool Blade Tool accessory

Use this measurement to align the jig offset against the rip fence. Then lock the fence into this position.

Wood Finger Floor Flooring Plywood

Align and secure the parts to the jig.

Table Wood Tool accessory

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I attached two spring clamps to ensure the parts remain still and stable. Can't be too careful.

Cutting tool Wood Tool woodworking Metalworking hand tool

Grip here (to help keep the jig against the fence)...

Wood Hand Table Tool accessory Finger

... and here.

Wood Table saw Resaw Tool Wood shaper

And run the jig forward all the way to the stop block then back out. And here's what you'll end up with; a nice slot into which your splines will seat very happily.

Architecture Wood Scale model Plywood

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Now that there folks is a spline jig! :thumbsup:

And to think, my spline jig is nothing more than a piece of plywood and a couple of 2x4's that sits directly on the saw table and slides along the fence.

I really like that you have marked out the max blade height. That takes away a lot of guessing during set up.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now that there folks is a spline jig! :thumbsup:

And to think, my spline jig is nothing more than a piece of plywood and a couple of 2x4's that sits directly on the saw table and slides along the fence.

I really like that you have marked out the max blade height. That takes away a lot of guessing during set up.
FYI, the "max height" I marked is based solely on where the screws are. The marking puts maximum at least 1/4 under the screws. I definitely don't want to risk running my blade into hardware.

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Steve! I just saw this thread now! The frames are coming along awesome! I love the addition you added to the spline jig. If I had one of those nifty surface clamps laying around I would've added it to mine! I guess it will have to wait. haha

Can't wait to see the finished frames! :yes:
Levi

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Steve! I just saw this thread now! The frames are coming along awesome! I love the addition you added to the spline jig. If I had one of those nifty surface clamps laying around I would've added it to mine! I guess it will have to wait. haha

Can't wait to see the finished frames! :yes:
Levi
Thank you, Sir! The real credit goes to you for your great tutorial. I was having a hard time visualizing how to go about the process so I was thrilled that you listened to your fans and gave us the critical sequence of steps involved. When I first saw your frames I fell in love with the cool design. I reversed the coloring only because we felt the walnut would look best against the particular picture it's for.

I'll post a picture or two of the framed picture in your frame tutorial as a testamonial to your method :thumbsup:

This frame is actually done. Well, I'd like to give it one more coat of poly. But I've been sitting on top of a mountain (4,4xx feet high) in Maggie Valley, South Carolina since Friday night. And we're not heading back to Florida until Sat. Morning. So it'll be another week until I update with frame pictures.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.