Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked by a customer who bought a bowl from me if I could reproduce 3 spindles from her porch. I'm no spindle turner but I think I can fake it long enough to do a small job like this in the name of customer service (she mentioned that she collects bowls).

I'm not too concerned about making anything on the deal but still want to approach it somewhat professionally. What would y'all charge (ballpark) for these, or should I just get a couple bucks for materials and hope for another bowl sale.

Also, would you be concerned with species or just use whatever is laying around?

I'm guessing they are 8" give or take an inch.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I typically try to get $20 hr for whatever work I do. The first spindle takes me a while, the next one faster, etc. So it works out pretty good for the customer. If I have to match paint or stain that takes longer which of course raises the price.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. There's no telling how long it'll take me with my lack of spindle skills so how long would you experienced spindle turners budget for this job including prep and cleanup?

$50 sounds about right but I'm just curious.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'd say about an hour. So the $50 mark would make me happy. As far as wood, it looks to be getting painted so pine would be fine for me. Find a couple scrap 2x4 cut offs and just rip them in half on the band saw. They look to be about that thick right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm running into the same thing... I've just started turning bowls and plates and local people are asking me how much I charge... I was offered $80 for 4 plates. $20 a plate or bowl sound good?

·
Registered
380 Posts
If I had some scraps of a rot-resistant species I would try to go that route. I tend to try to knock customer service out of the park. These people are your repeat-customers and word-of-mouth salesmen. Painted pine would probably do fine if maintained but looks like these were not. Wouldn't it be a feather in your cap if the work surrounding your spindles rotted to heck and your spindles were still good? I wouldn't go out of my way to do this but if you got something laying around why not. I usually have locust or other "outdoor" woods laying around though but that's my thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts