Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys use these, I hear they are good for pen turning. If anyone has one could they take some detailed pics of the point so I can grind one of my old tools the same way? I would really appreciate it!!:thumbsup:
Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do you guys use these, I hear they are good for pen turning. If anyone has one could they take some detailed pics of the point so I can grind one of my old tools the same way? I would really appreciate it!!:thumbsup:
Thanks
Nate, I have one and I love it. I do a few Salt & Peppers and when I run into some highly figured Maple, out comes the Spindle Master. Now sharpness is an issue, if you can't cut yourself with ease, either Sharpen and Hone or put it back in the rack till next time. It does not perform well when dull.
If you need a few pics, let me now but I'm sure you have seen all you need and Youtube probably has videos on how to use it.
Keep the bevel rubbing and go for it....
Later.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The spindle master is nothing more than a scraper sharpened to a sharper angle and used like a spindle gouge. It doesn't work any better or necessarily any worse. You still need to learn to sharpen them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RE: Spindle Master

I agree with John, you still have to learn to use the tool. It cuts similarly to a skew but also cut coves. What is unique about the Spindle Master is that the bevel is mirror pollished and the tool is sharpened by honing across the top (flat surface). If you're having trouble getting smooth, controlled cuts with a skew or spindle gouge, don't expect the Spindle Master to be any different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts