Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Rigid Oscillating Spindle Sander - which had been purchased a good while back (I am way beyond the return period) - and which hadn't been used (for the very first time) until recently. I found that two of the spindles were missing. Initially, I thought it was just one spindle missing (1/2"), but the 3/4" one was also absent.

I went to HomeDepot, today, to see if I could purchase, or order what I was lacking, but found that I could not. I was directed to Rockler, under the worker's mindset that they would be likely to sell such individual components. But, I wonder if spindle sizes are standardized - meaning, would any spindles be likely to fit any oscillating sanding machine?

I hope so.

·
7,222 Posts
If I recall HD is also no longer selling the sleeves. I have the same unit.

I got frustrated with the small size of the table for spindle sanding. Good size in front, but too small in the back.

I purchased a dedicated oscillating spindle sander from Grizzly. The rubber spindles are the same size so try Grizzly.

Not all rubber spindles are the same size.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would try contacting rigid they really stand behind their tools. It may not help but its worth a shot.
That, I did - just earlier today. I am almost ashamed to admit that this sanding unit was purchased earlier last year. The reason I am just recently finding out about the spindle situation is because it wasn't until just recently that I first put it to work. Upon getting it home (last year) all I did was unbox it, and set on a back table in my shop. Very shortly after that our basement, where my little shop is, suffered a very bad flooding situation. There was extensive cleanup involved, and (even more than that) my creative spirit was truly knocked down. It wasn't until recently that I got it back up (this time to KEEP it up).

I own a number of Rigid tools, and have been quite happy with them. I have also heard only good things about their customer servicing, but don't know how they may opt to handle this matter (if at all) - seeing as how so much time has elapsed between the time of purchase, and now. If they could sell me the two spindles I would be even happy with that. But even if Rigid couldn't do anything at all for me, at least I know (thanks to Dave) that Grizzly's spindle offerings will fit my machine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just happened across a PDf version of the manual, for my sanding unit, and it seems that the machine didn't come with the 1/2" spindle. They ship with 5 different sleeve sizes (ranging from 1/2" to 2"), but just 4 spindles (odd, don't you think?). So, I guess that this leaves me with just being out of the 3/4" spindle which was supposed to be included.

Just left Grizzly's site, but could find nothing on the spindles for oscillating machines. I will give them a call tomorrow, to see what theirs may cost.

·
where's my table saw?
28,968 Posts

·
7,222 Posts
Just left Grizzly's site, but could find nothing on the spindles for oscillating machines. I will give them a call tomorrow, to see what theirs may cost.
If you call Grizzly you want to be talking about ordering parts for an oscillating sander.

See this link for reference. The parts diagram for my oscillating spindle sander.

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/g0538_pl.pdf

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just finished perusing the PDF manual from its beginning to its end and learned something about what's going on. I had,though erroneously, assumed that the manufacturer had made an error in shipping out the required components to these oscillating sanding machines. But that was NOT the case. Not knowing any better, I had just assumed that something had been overlooked, regarding their rubber spindle components sat upon. It was my frame of mind that the sanding sleeves HAD to rest on a rubber spindle. In going (thoroughly) through the manual, I learned that the 1/2" sleeves did NOT require a rubber element by which to give it life. Therefore, I am not missing that 1/2" element that I had THOUGHT I was out of.

I mention this in the event that there might be a newcomer/purchaser of the same unit, who might find themselves under the very same situation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts