Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a bonus from work! I feel very fortunate considering what some others are going through right now.

I have about $1000 - $1200 to spend. I would really like a new table saw and a jointer. My starter table saw is okay but I know I would benefit from a better fence. I don't have a jointer at all.

Having spent some time here, I am familiar with the new/used debate. I am open to buying used equipment but the choices around here are pretty limited and I am not willing to drive more than a couple of hours. I am also a little nervous about buying a used jointer because I have read some posts by others that REALLY struggle with set up.

So, what do you think?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Well....we'd need to know where you are to provide used opinions.....but I'd go for a good saw

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I actually am in Madison. I do scour most of the state for tools. There are a few good saws out there right now. How far are you willing to travel? There is an older grizzly I know of right now but is in Monroe which is pretty far south. Where abouts are you? Also I have that jet jointer and paid $100 for it off cragislist.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I think the pair if in good shape is probably worth 8-900....I'd offer him 700 for both and see what happens.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually am in Madison. I do scour most of the state for tools. There are a few good saws out there right now. How far are you willing to travel? There is an older grizzly I know of right now but is in Monroe which is pretty far south. Where abouts are you? Also I have that jet jointer and paid $100 for it off cragislist.
I live about an hour north of Madison. I don't mind travelling a few hours.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Hows this one look.......220 but has a nice fence....and its left tilt....

http://lacrosse.craigslist.org/tls/4106166184.html

He's got a jointer too.....

http://lacrosse.craigslist.org/tls/4106354126.html
The saw seems like a reasonable deal. It has a full enclosure, but the 2hp motor could mean that it's one of their early hybrids with table mounted trunnions vs cabinet mounted trunnions (lighter duty too.). Nice fence, mobile base, price is fair IMO if it runs well.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
whatalesyou1 said:
315.2287590 is the model
That doesn't show as ever having been a saw model from craftsman. Did he send a picture by any chance?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Could it have been 315.228590? That was if I recall the last of the Emerson style table saws...a nice saw, and probably in good shape worth 300...

But I'd still go for that jet and try for a bundle price.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The smart thing to do is invest in something you don't have.EX. A table router and or jointer will make up for the imagined lack of table saw quality issues. Do you work with laminates ? A good bandsaw with re-saw capabilities is great. REAL spindle sander ?
How about just investing in $1000 worth of KILLER wood inventory ? It's a commodity. It'll never get cheaper. Tools on sale and divorce-unemployed sales come and go.Crack and meth heads continue to multiply.Craig is your friend.
Take your time and think of the future.I have a P.O.S. table saw but it's a 1 1/2 3450 and I got a rockin' blade collection. A few extra minutes of setup takes up the lack of gadgetry for it.
Think hard about good wood. Real hard. Yeah. It takes up a lot of space. Hang it over your head. How tall are you ? If the shop is 20 x 20 x 8 you're wasting a lot of space over your head.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts