Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what kind of specialty lumber yards you guys may have in your neck of the woods,do they supply lots of different types of species and how reasonable are there prices compared to the one in my area,here's a link to the one in my area with prices per sqaure ft,they supply pictures,discriptions and there uses of most of the woods they carry,a pretty nice selection. Its a woodworkers candy store. http://www.woodply.com/p_hardwood.htm
:thumbup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Mr Wizard
Have you ever been to the sawmill on Harned road in commack. I past it the other day and did not stop. I was wondering if they sell rough stock to the likes of us. Wood ply had a great deal on mahogony 5/4 x 6 decking material a few years ago that went into alot of my projects. None of it was decking though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Mr Wizard
Have you ever been to the sawmill on Harned road in commack. I past it the other day and did not stop. I was wondering if they sell rough stock to the likes of us. Wood ply had a great deal on mahogony 5/4 x 6 decking material a few years ago that went into alot of my projects. None of it was decking though.
Never herd of of it,i'd like to check it out though.wouldn't happen to know address # or name ? ,is that just south of vets hwy ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wizard...
I stopped by the harned saw mill today. Mostly does oak for trailer beds. Sells firewood and says he once in a while has some nicer stuff, but it's green. I guess wood ply is still our best bet.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Just wondering what kind of specialty lumber yards you guys may have in your neck of the woods,do they supply lots of different types of species and how reasonable are there prices compared to the one in my area,here's a link to the one in my area with prices per sqaure ft,they supply pictures,discriptions and there uses of most of the woods they carry,a pretty nice selection. Its a woodworkers candy store. http://www.woodply.com/p_hardwood.htm
:thumbup:
I have one in my backyard with all sorts of species and the prices are right too. ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
That's the direction I'm taking my mill operation. I'm slowly gaining a nice inventory of birdseye and spalted maple, cherry, cherry burls etc. Once I get enough, I'll start advertising. I have some great connections with the loggers in Northern Vt and I'm slowly training them to get an eye for the unusual, unique stuff. The only problem I'll have is letting the stuff go....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have one in my backyard with all sorts of species and the prices are right too. ;)
That sounds nice,the only thing i see out my door is traffic and stores,not much for tree's on long island,unless i go out to the pine barens and chop down those scrubby pines we have a ton of ,but are worthless.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats what i thought,i guess i can ask my uncle up in the catskills to drag some logs down,i should ask him if they have any mills up in margrettstsville,bring me a few slabs back.

·
Senior Member (by age)
64 Posts
Hi guys,
I buy ALL of my wood from Hearn Hardwoods. They're great people, and the wood they carry is amazing. I have a link to them on my websites if you want the address. They ship worldwide. I've seen Rick Hearn get depressed over selling a piece of wood.

One time he told me he was tempted to run down the driveway after a guy he sold some figured Koa to, and buy it back. He's very passionate about the wood he carries. He travels around the world buying wood.

George Nakashima's daughter buys a lot of wood from them as well.
She's sitting on tens of thousands of board feet of figured walnut, (last I heard), but will still go to Hearns to buy more!

·
Registered
15 Posts
How consistent is the curl and the quilt on the stuff that woodply is selling?

I need 45 bd feet of the stuff for me and another hobbyist to make panels for blanket chests (22.5 bd ft per chest).

I've never ordered wood mail order before, and am somewhat worried that we'd come up with boards that are figured on one end with not much on the other.

I'm in Pittsburgh, and so far, the places I've seen that will deal with hobbyists are West Elizabeth Lumber and Rockler. Without a sale, Rockler is out of the question for price.

There's a millwork shop here (Allegheny Millwork), but rumor is that they don't like to deal with hobbyists, and they may not have figured woods, anyway - I've never been there to check.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Our local lumber yard only stocks pine but if they need specialty stuff they call the local saw mill 5 miles south of town...........:thumbsup:

I stock about 15k bf of mixed hardwoods at any given time and the word of mouth has taken over! My last batch of Ambroshia maple was sold to the lumber yard for $5.00 bf. They sold it for $8.00 bf

I do my best to sell it to the lumber yard because it helps us both out. They remember it every time I need stuff from them like garage doors, roofing etc. So far its worked out real well.

·
Registered
801 Posts
How consistent is the curl and the quilt on the stuff that woodply is selling?

I need 45 bd feet of the stuff for me and another hobbyist to make panels for blanket chests (22.5 bd ft per chest).

I've never ordered wood mail order before, and am somewhat worried that we'd come up with boards that are figured on one end with not much on the other.

I'm in Pittsburgh, and so far, the places I've seen that will deal with hobbyists are West Elizabeth Lumber and Rockler. Without a sale, Rockler is out of the question for price.

There's a millwork shop here (Allegheny Millwork), but rumor is that they don't like to deal with hobbyists, and they may not have figured woods, anyway - I've never been there to check.

Try West Penn Hardwoods....... They're in town with me... it's only a few Hours from P'burgh to Here....( Just over the Boarder from Bradford Pa.) they are on the Web.... www.westpennhardwoods.com

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm my own Lumber Dealer (I'm my own Grandpaw)

I'm a specialty lumber dealer (thats one of the names)
N. Central TN.

I sell in house or by the piece cut to customers cut list (over size, customer mills finished size)

Customer satisfaction isn't a problem, shipping is.
I doesn't do me any good to sell 8"x8' qtr sawn clear white oak when the shipping is as much as the board.
Hit 60" and UPS goes way up. Any kind of weight and 8' has to truck (not bad $ but not door to door)
In the past 2 yrs shipping has put big orders just about out of buis.

Just filled an order for a mission style beds parts, queen size, qs white oak, prime cuts for some parts, common cuts for others that don't show.
$347 material
$342 shipping
TN -CO
jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts