Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SawDust Maker
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is August 4 and I’ve been able to spend a few hours in the shop. The summer is quickly coming to a close. Our son will begin his junior year in high school on August 12 and our daughter will move to Southern California to start her first year in college just two weeks after that. As a father I felt that my only role would be to have a strong back to carry her belongings up the stairs into her dorm room. Imagine my surprise when I was called off the bench with a special request. Could I make a cork bulletin board for her room?? I was equally surprised when she requested I use some of my reclaimed wood to frame the board. I went to the not-so-neatly stacked pile of reclaimed redwood decking I had secured from my neighbors deck when he dismantled it.
There I found two or three pieces used as handrails and had a beautiful gray patina to them. In less than two hours I had this cork-board.
Most importantly, I had a big smile from my daughter.
I am sure there will be a few tears from her dad when he drivers away from the dorm…
http://reclaimedwoodblog.com/

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Beautifully Done :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
MapleMoose said:
Cork-board looks great. Daughter looks happy. Good job!
Yep. Mission accomplished!

You're getting misty because your baby girl is spreading her wings.

You've done a great job raising her and she's gonna do you proud.

THAT'S A GOOD THING!

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Very nice job reclaiming the old wood. Beats the heck out of some piece of junk you'd get at walmart. I remember the day my wife and I dropped our younger son off for his first time at college. It felt like we dropped him off at prison.
Mike Hawkins;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.