Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think pest control would only work for killing adults after they emerge. I know the issue I with the cabinet door I actually found a few dead adults on a drawer and on the floor. My pest people freaked out about it, but there’s nothing you can do about larva in the wood other than heat.

I’m not panicking. I think it’s been there a while and I never noticed. But it’s certainly weird one handle on a clamp? Kiln dried and painted lumber to boot? Almost makes me think it originated in Germany.

PBB‘s can’t penetrate painted or finished wood, and don’t like kiln dried low nutrient level.

I periodically check my lumber. Theres nothing I can do anyway my shop is wide open.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm not in agreement that PPBs don't invade kiln dried wood. I don't think the availability of moisture is necessarily a requirement. I've had several pieces of furniture in my upholstery shop with evidence of both past infestation and with live grubs. I'm almost certain the name brand furniture's wood was kiln dried before construction.

Old furniture in my grandfathers barn had evidence of PPBs. I would suppose that furniture's wood was kiln dried. Stashed in the barn for years, that wood was bone dry, so IMO, moisture is not so much a factor, relatively speaking.

I don't think it matters where you live, the bugs are pretty much everywhere. The adult bugs can fly into any area or be wind blown into an otherwise vacant area. Any area can not be immune of them.

I have two main storage areas for my cache of lumber, probably totaling at least 20K bd ft of assorted lumber, some kiln dried, some air dried. Most of my cache is salvaged from old buildings. Among the salvaged lumber is salvaged architectural-like doors, windows, corbels and other features. I have another generous cache of purchased lumbers.... a variety of plywood stock and 2X stock, etc. I spray it yearly with Timbor. I don't recall seeing any evidence of PPBs in my stock for at least 10 yrs, if that recent.

I did have another boring grub, not PPBs, in some of pecan.... made 1/4" size holes, about the size of a pencil diameter. The pecan was from a fallen tree at the farm that I had milled. I isolated and stickered the pecan boards, placed an open half gallon container of gasoline adjacent to it and covered with a tarp for a day. Just the gasoline fumes will kill most insects. I long ago discovered that, if you pour gas onto the board (to kill any bugs), the gas odor will remain, which is not desirable. Gasoline doesn't affect the board, but the odor remains. The fumes, alone, work just fine.

I simply try to use common sense in caring for my lumber and Timbor is my go to treatment for PPBs preventative. I have never had or have had to treat an active/live case of PPBs in my cache. My preventative measures seems to have been successful, so for. Other grub or insect issues are not so serious, IMO, so I don't worry about those other grubs so much, until they actually show themselves, which is rare.

Treatment of infested furniture, by a pest control service, is fuming. They don't use gasoline, obviously, but essentially use the same process of fuming.... and maybe with some pressurization, also. The affected furniture I've had in the shop was reported to the designer or decorator and they took care of whatever treatment was needed, so I don't know exactly what fuming treatment was applied.

Sonny
Pecan
https://flic.kr/p/kUv9dB https://flic.kr/p/mG8u3n https://flic.kr/p/mG9LhA https://flic.kr/p/mG7Et6

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sonny, I‘m now convinced. It doesn’t happen very often, storing any kind of lumber outside down here is impossible unless it’s treated with TimBor.

I neglected to treat a sycamore I had quarter sawn. The butt was 42” in diameter Forgot about it a couple years and I about cried when I checked. it’s all gone to the burn pile.

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts