Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some wood that I cut my self from a dead maple in the back yard. It has some nice spalting in it and will make a pretty cheese platter or small cutting board. Since spalting is effectively the result of a fungal infection in the dead wood, does the wood need to be treated in some manner before being used in a way that will contact food? Like I said, I produced this material myself so it hasn't been kiln dried or anything like that. Also, what do you recommend as a finish for something used for food? Just walnut oil or something similar?
Thanks for the help.
~Clark

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
Stay away from nut oils since some people are deathly allergic to them. Just use pure mineral oil for the finish. I am leery about using a spalted piece of wood for direct food contact. I would save the wood for another project.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Can't advise you on what finish to use but I can advise you that if your pic shows a glueup of unseasoned wood, you have made a mistake. You say it's not kiln dried, but is it air dried? If it's anywhere near freshly cut, it will now change size and most likely pop the glue joints.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mineral oil is a good idea, I probably wouldn't have considered the possibility of allergies, I'll keep that in mind for future food related projects. Maybe I will skip the cutting board idea for this particular wood, just to be safe.

The picture isn't a glue up, just a clamp up because I wanted to get an idea of how it might look put together. The wood has been cut and air drying by my furnace in the basement for about 6 months, hasn't seemed to move too much. It still needs to be planed/jointed before I use it, I just did some quick "planing" with the table saw to get a better look at it.

Thanks, all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts