Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some friends cut down a massive tulip poplar this summer and I grabbed a couple of limbs to bring home. Not sure how long it had been sitting in their yard but I got it in July and threw it in the kiln. I got two pieces out and when I cut the corners off to make blanks I saw spalting, once I started turning I saw all the color. This is what it turned out to be. It has a few tool bruises and I had to fix a couple of cracks but I like it. Pics aren't great but hope you can tell how pretty the wood is. Still needs to be buffed out but the finish is still soft.

Measures 6 1/2" x 1 1/2"

Wood Product Bowl Wood stain Hardwood

Wood Bowl Wood stain Plate Hardwood

Bowl Beige Wood Rock Sink

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Very nice. There's just something about spalted wood that makes any piece special. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I like the shape of your bowl, very nice job. I also like spalted wood and I like tulip poplar, it's what I'm able to get the most of around here from Mom & Pop sawmills. I especially like the greens and purples that poplar displays.

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love that bowl!!!

I never knew poplar spalted so nicely until....I didn't turn them but I cut them!!! Spalted tulip poplar beams 6"x16"-24'......Would make A LOT of blanks!! LOL
View attachment 86886
Keep up the great turning!! I always like to see your work!!!

More info on pic http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f26/cant-top-scsmith42-but-i-maxd-47401/
Tin if you still have some of that and are ever up for a trade let met know that is beautiful. I can always use things like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts