Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so like i said I am new to this.. Earlier I asked about burls but apparently I meant Spalted..so I need to know what I do with spalted wood? so I just paint the ends of the logs and let them dry? or can I have them cut up and kiln dried..should I face cut them into 4 inche chunks then dip in wax? help me out!:huh:

Oh and here is the website, it's actually pretty neat to me- they have a lot of crazy cuts of wood and a great tutorial section with a glossary and "ecyclopedia" that helped me out as a beginner big time http://hearnehardwoods.com/hardwoods/wood_glossary/wood_glossary.html

·
sawdust maker
560 Posts
spalted or not if you have access to a kiln then thats the go oh if you are slabbing logs lift one end two or three inches to get some great grain effect and spalted is a bacteria like a mold and it has stained the timber

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
another question

Here something else I need to ask.. say i'm cutting a few good sized limbs off of a boxelder, and I find some spalting that is say 3 inches in diameter.. would it even make sense to maybe cut that little chunk out and have a little 3x5" blank maybe? Or is it no good because it's just sapwood. And yes- it's a true story :yes: I know this tree's trunk would be sweet but we haven't got around to deciding to whack the whole thing yet, just hazardous limbs

·
sawdust maker
560 Posts
sapwood is alright so long as it stay there and not split away when it drys it makes a good contrast if the heartwood is dark and the sapwood is a lighter colour

1 - 8 of 8 Posts