Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a bit out of my comfort zone. I went with an off-the-tool surface, no sanding. The wood was so punky in spots that I couldn't get a decent surface even after throwing every trick I know at it. I decided that it was just the nature of the wood so why not feature it instead if trying to "fix" it. And that's the story I'm sticking with:).

I'm curious to know what y'all think of my choice. The entry hole happened to be in a really soft spot so it got a bit chunky around it but again, rather than enlarging the hole or trying to clean it up, I just left it as is. Critiques appreciated, I am trying to learn.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Looks good for punky :yes: did you try brushing on some water base lacquer an try to take small cuts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bigcouger said:
Looks good for punky :yes: did you try brushing on some water base lacquer an try to take small cuts
I used a spray acrylic instead, since its what I was going to finish with and it dries super fast. Sprayed till it was flooded then after it dried I shear scraped but even that left voids. When I got frustrated I tried sanding through the pitted areas but even that didn't work. I realized I was basically trying to smooth out a dry sponge...it just wasn't going to happen. Not by me anyway:).

·
Senior Something
1,106 Posts
I like what it looks like. Is it hollow?
I was going to say the same thing! Then I was going to make about you guys with your "hollow" forms - you turn an egg and then drill a hole in the end. All kidding aside, I like it, very nicely down. Way past my skill level. And I like the "textured" finish.

·
Registered
95 Posts
IMHO I would leave it just as it is it looks way to good to go and fiddle with it. It looks if it could be ancient and somebody just brushed the dirt off. It's a lovely piece well turned considering wood condition well done

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
djg said:
I was going to say the same thing! Then I was going to make about you guys with your "hollow" forms - you turn an egg and then drill a hole in the end. All kidding aside, I like it, very nicely down. Way past my skill level. And I like the "textured" finish.
Okay, okay, I didn't go back and read the title. On the iPhone it's hard to see the entire title. I get one or two words across the top and that's about it. So, my silly sea in asking an obvious question. : )

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Senior Something
1,106 Posts
Okay, okay, I didn't go back and read the title. On the iPhone it's hard to see the entire title. I get one or two words across the top and that's about it. So, my silly sea in asking an obvious question. : )
Don't misunderstand me, I wasn't critisizing you for questioning it being hollow. It just blows my mind that anyone could ever hollow through such a small opening. If I ever progress to that skill level and show off a HF, someone better call my hand to see the inside. I might just be showing off a fake.:yes:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
djg said:
If I ever progress to that skill level and show off a HF, someone better call my hand to see the inside. I might just be showing off a fake.:yes:
Ha ha! Yep, I could show you all the pictures I want but you'll never know if it really weighs 14 pounds:). And I'll add that it's less about skill level and more about the willingness to stand there for hours on end taking tiny cuts and removing shavings through a tiny hole. I'm not sure why I think that's fun, but I do.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I really like it, your skill is incredible. I think if I did any sanding I would do something like 400 or 600 grit just to make it a little bit softer to the touch

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I used a spray acrylic instead, since its what I was going to finish with and it dries super fast. Sprayed till it was flooded then after it dried I shear scraped but even that left voids. When I got frustrated I tried sanding through the pitted areas but even that didn't work. I realized I was basically trying to smooth out a dry sponge...it just wasn't going to happen. Not by me anyway:).

You did a beautiful Job an you saved it so congrads to ya :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reactions: Bonanza35

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nate Bos said:
I think if I did any sanding I would do something like 400 or 600 grit just to make it a little bit softer to the touch
Thanks, and that's a great idea. That wouldn't change anything visually but would make it nicer to hold. I like it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I like it too! Aesthetically, can't offer any critique.

The only thing that MIGHT be added, if so inclined (definitely doesn't need it though) is a finial of some sort. Perhaps even a small brass or copper cap would compliment the wood and finish; which I would mess with at this point.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts