Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a bit out of my comfort zone. I went with an off-the-tool surface, no sanding. The wood was so punky in spots that I couldn't get a decent surface even after throwing every trick I know at it. I decided that it was just the nature of the wood so why not feature it instead if trying to "fix" it. And that's the story I'm sticking with:).

I'm curious to know what y'all think of my choice. The entry hole happened to be in a really soft spot so it got a bit chunky around it but again, rather than enlarging the hole or trying to clean it up, I just left it as is. Critiques appreciated, I am trying to learn.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Looks good for punky :yes: did you try brushing on some water base lacquer an try to take small cuts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bigcouger said:
Looks good for punky :yes: did you try brushing on some water base lacquer an try to take small cuts
I used a spray acrylic instead, since its what I was going to finish with and it dries super fast. Sprayed till it was flooded then after it dried I shear scraped but even that left voids. When I got frustrated I tried sanding through the pitted areas but even that didn't work. I realized I was basically trying to smooth out a dry sponge...it just wasn't going to happen. Not by me anyway:).

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
djg said:
I was going to say the same thing! Then I was going to make about you guys with your "hollow" forms - you turn an egg and then drill a hole in the end. All kidding aside, I like it, very nicely down. Way past my skill level. And I like the "textured" finish.
Okay, okay, I didn't go back and read the title. On the iPhone it's hard to see the entire title. I get one or two words across the top and that's about it. So, my silly sea in asking an obvious question. : )

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Senior Something
1,126 Posts
Okay, okay, I didn't go back and read the title. On the iPhone it's hard to see the entire title. I get one or two words across the top and that's about it. So, my silly sea in asking an obvious question. : )
Don't misunderstand me, I wasn't critisizing you for questioning it being hollow. It just blows my mind that anyone could ever hollow through such a small opening. If I ever progress to that skill level and show off a HF, someone better call my hand to see the inside. I might just be showing off a fake.:yes:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
djg said:
If I ever progress to that skill level and show off a HF, someone better call my hand to see the inside. I might just be showing off a fake.:yes:
Ha ha! Yep, I could show you all the pictures I want but you'll never know if it really weighs 14 pounds:). And I'll add that it's less about skill level and more about the willingness to stand there for hours on end taking tiny cuts and removing shavings through a tiny hole. I'm not sure why I think that's fun, but I do.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I used a spray acrylic instead, since its what I was going to finish with and it dries super fast. Sprayed till it was flooded then after it dried I shear scraped but even that left voids. When I got frustrated I tried sanding through the pitted areas but even that didn't work. I realized I was basically trying to smooth out a dry sponge...it just wasn't going to happen. Not by me anyway:).

You did a beautiful Job an you saved it so congrads to ya :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reactions: Bonanza35

·
Registered
95 Posts
I like it too! Aesthetically, can't offer any critique.

The only thing that MIGHT be added, if so inclined (definitely doesn't need it though) is a finial of some sort. Perhaps even a small brass or copper cap would compliment the wood and finish; which I would mess with at this point.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts