Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the heck's a spaghetti paddle? One of my oldest uncles has been after me for awhile to make him a couple of paddles to stir the big pots of spagetti sauce at the Knights of Columbus hall where he still helps cook. He's 91, so I figured I better not wait any longer. They're made out of hickory and are about 21" long. Cut out the basic shape on the bandsaw, then stuck 'em in the lathe to turn the middle section round. After some initial sanding on a drum sander in the drill press, I resawed the paddle end to thin them down. Final sanding then a couple coats of finish. Fun project for this morning.
Mike Hawkins;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Cute :yes:

The square-ish shape is useful, helps move stuff that might begin to stick to the bottom of the pan.

I remember seeing them with a hole drilled through the face, probably to make it easier to move through the water, but these should work very well.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Those are great.

On a side note, I love your sign in the last picture over the window. I need one of those...

Mark

·
Super Moderator
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Burb said:
Those are great.

On a side note, I love your sign in the last picture over the window. I need one of those...

Mark
I figured that might get noticed. I have a few of those long metal signs. Acquired them during my Harley years at one of the biker events. Still ride, but only off road. Have about a dozen and a half vintage motocrossers and a few modern ones.
Mike Hawkins

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Cool. The holes in paddles promote mixing and prevent splashing. Look at pro chef gear.
The handles look skinny for big pots. Are they at least 1" diameter?
A major sauce is a big load to stir.
Do you think that you could scale up this pattern and make a serious pizza scale?
Say, 16" wide?
Other than that, he has got to be pleased = at last! some serious kitchen tools.

·
Super Moderator
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool. The holes in paddles promote mixing and prevent splashing. Look at pro chef gear.
The handles look skinny for big pots. Are they at least 1" diameter?
A major sauce is a big load to stir.
Do you think that you could scale up this pattern and make a serious pizza scale?
Say, 16" wide?
Other than that, he has got to be pleased = at last! some serious kitchen tools.
I didn't know about the holes in the paddle. I'll mention it to my uncle to see if it becomes a problem. Wouldn't be hard to drill some. The handles are about 3/4" diameter. Being hickory and really straight grained, they won't break. I saw an article not too long ago in one of the woodworking magazines for a wooden pizza scale. I keep thinking about making one for another uncle who lives around the corner from me. He has a brick outdoor pizza oven and could put one to good use.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Do it, Mike. A serious pizza scale is an heirloom of lasting beauty.
They're like soft and comfortable old friends = you can talk and visit and slam the danged-est pizzas together at the same time.

I have some really wonderful 2" x 6" birch plank for mine. I think that I can do a glue-up with pegs and get away with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts