Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never used them before. I've got rails and stiles with a 1/2" tenon, shaker profile. How tight should the spaceballs be when the panel goes in. Not too tight not too loose? I believe the spaceballs measure .26" or close. I am using an mdf panel so maybe I should just glue the panel in and forget about the spaceballs? Thanks for any advice, Nick.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is your groove 1/2" wide? That may be too wide for Spaceballs. I imagine they'd all roll down to the bottom of the door in a 1/2" slot. I use them on solid wood panels and cut the panel to have at least a millimeter or two to expand on either side at their maximum expansion size. Then the Spaceballs fit snugly.

I just glue mdf panels in, gives you a very solid feeling door.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mortise is 1/2" deep. So I have plenty of room for the spaceballs. Only 1/4" wide mortise. What would be the best result for panel size? Spaceballs or just glue in the panels?

·
Registered
979 Posts
I understand spaceballs are mainly intended for solid wood panels since they're more prone to expansion. If you're using mdf panels I'd just put a few drops of glue randomly and have a nice day, if your frames swell at least it will only break the glue and not the frames.

I did have one set of 40x22" tall heavy doors crack on me once. They were one of the first set of doors I ever built for somebody and were 1" thick rail and stile with solid wood panels. The stiles cracked on the ends and I was fumbling for words with the customer as to why it happened after convincing her that the high price of the door was well worth it considering their heft wood assure their sturdiness...doh!

The panels were too tight and glued like up like I was expecting a hurricane to blow through...lesson learned

·
Registered
714 Posts
Never used them before. I've got rails and stiles with a 1/2" tenon, shaker profile. How tight should the spaceballs be when the panel goes in. Not too tight not too loose? I believe the spaceballs measure .26" or close. I am using an mdf panel so maybe I should just glue the panel in and forget about the spaceballs? Thanks for any advice, Nick.

Welcome Aboard!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Funny me I thought Space balls was a move

1 - 6 of 6 Posts