Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having your own shop spray booth works in a perfect world but most of the time you have to work with what the location provides. I made a cabinet door rack the works well, I can usually stack a whole kitchen in a relatively small space. The rack works for drawer faces as well except when the drawer faces have been glued to their boxes. Does anyone have a space saving idea for spraying and stacking drawers with attached fronts? My top photo is of my working door rack in case anyone would like to build there own. The second is how I paint and cure the drawers, open for suggestions.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Your rack has been called a "drying tree" and is an invaluable space saver. I've made them with casters. For the drawer problem, I don't mount the fronts until the box and front are done separately, as well as a loose bottom. Those parts come out much better that way, IMO.

If you have to do them with the fronts, you could stack them front to back. Have the front and back pointing in opposite directions. If you want to keep the box clean, and all the boxes are the same depth, once they are stacked, just wrap them over with a cover.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes "drying tree"

Thank you cabinetman

I almost called it a thing-a-ma-jig but yes the correct description is drying tree. You cannot see them but I have inserts for drawer fronts and narrow cabinet doors. I would love it if clients had fronts that were not glued to the drawers but you cannot fight Murphy Law no matter how much you try. I am trying to design a "drying tree" for drawer bases that clamps to the center of the drawer with rotating heads. Work in progress and I have seen some stuff in magazines but nothing yet. Hoping someone here has run into the situation and can say "Here is how you do it".

Stu

And thank you Fire65

1 - 4 of 4 Posts