Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a source for table legs that are of a "contemporary" or "modern" style? In other words, something that's minimal in design, without a lot of turnings, doo-dads and filigree.

I've looked at Rockler's selection, but they're all more of the traditional "Queen Anne" and "country" styles... not what I'm looking for. I did a 'net search but that turned up zippo.

Ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No... but I think they'd be stupid simple to make. For the most part, the "basic" model I'm looking for is nothing more than a 3" or 4" dowel with a taper. Fancier versions might have very simple features.

I know a lathe is the answer, but I can't see spending the cash right now... I figured it'd be more prudent to see if I could just source them for a while to see if demand justifies buying more machinery.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You might want to try what i have done in the past . What i have done is made simple legs that are 2 think with a taper on them. Then i made a jig out of craps 3" wide and 2' long with a small door hinge at one end and on the other end a 3/4x3/4 12 long strip and nail it in place then i adjust my angle for the taper i want on the legs i am making and eather nail or screw it to hold the angle and i put a peace of 1"1/2 stock at the end the angle is set on to hold the leg in place while i am sawing them. You can run them on eather two or four sides. Hope this helps it is simpler than it sounds. These legs are simpe but look nice when done right and finshed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
about legs

You can always break the edge of the legs i sugested to give it around look this might be more work but for now might solve your problem. I wish you luck.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Anyone have a source for table legs that are of a "contemporary" or "modern" style? In other words, something that's minimal in design, without a lot of turnings, doo-dads and filigree.

I've looked at Rockler's selection, but they're all more of the traditional "Queen Anne" and "country" styles... not what I'm looking for. I did a 'net search but that turned up zippo.

Ideas? Thanks.

You might try Classic Designs by Matthew Burak, they have some simple table legs among other things.
www.tablelegs.com :thumbsup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
about table leg

Yes cabinetman the pictured you have posted is along the lines of what i am thinking. but you frist have to cut it on and angle then use a chiesel an file to round it . You use the chiesl to break the connors until you basiclly have a circle then you can eather file and sand to make it a smooth circle. this is the long way to do it but if you do not have a lathe do not want to spend the money on one and want to make your own legs then this is an altrantive. To be onest a lot of times those premade legs are crap they never really appeal to me much.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Buffalo Bilious i hope it works out for you what ever why you can go and let me know what happens. My idea is just one option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts