Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Thumb Nailer
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 year old air hoses are giving up the ghost. No real suprise as they spend their lives in a HOT Texas workshop, under the hood of various cars, or being dragged across this or that to do finish spraying etc... in a makeshift portable spray booth in my yard. I use them, and expose them to fairly harsh conditions.

I replaced the OE 50' 3/8 red rubber heaven only knows who made it hose on my Central Pnuematic retracting hose reel, with a 50' Goodyear 3/8" red rubber hose. Which is great, but the jumpers from compressors to mainfold, yes I run ganged compressors for more airflow on bottom dollar input, and from the manifold to the hose reel.

For heaven only knows what reason, the old hoses always seem to fail close to the ends, not from handling I have to assume because the failures often happen at the FAR end as well, not just the tool end, leaving the middle in usable shape for quite some time to come.

I have discussed the issue with a couple of auto repair junikie friends of mine, and a baot guy. and all are wanting replacement air hoses.

I have the crimper, and ferrules since they sell those in 100 count packs. And I was wondering, since we have the ferrules, and can recover the barb x MPT fittings, we should be ablet o fabricate our own replacments for their hose reels. I got the stuff to facilitate making custom length jumpers to allow for less weight hanging on connectors. However if I go through hoses every decade or so, I will be long dead before this stuff is used up.

So where can I get bulk quantities, say 300 to 500 feet of 3/8" ID, and roughly 9/16" OD rubber air hose in bulk at a decent price? I figure we can get the guys together to split cost, and have an excuse to get together and have a beer...

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
I prefer to make my own cables and wires and stuff for audio, video, etc. The resulting custom cables are very high quality, but my primary motivation is that I can make them in the perfect length - custom fitted to each need.

It never occurred to me to do that with air hoses. I don't use enough that acquiring the tooling and bulk spools are worth it for me, but I think the idea is brilliant!

·
Thumb Nailer
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I prefer to make my own cables and wires and stuff for audio, video, etc. The resulting custom cables are very high quality, but my primary motivation is that I can make them in the perfect length - custom fitted to each need.

It never occurred to me to do that with air hoses. I don't use enough that acquiring the tooling and bulk spools are worth it for me, but I think the idea is brilliant!
The tool is $22.00, at least for the absolute basic crimper. And I was trying to solve a problem. I have an 18" span between the air compressor, and the filter / dryer / regulator assembly. The shortest hose I could buy commercially is about 5' which leaves a loop or two of extra weight on the connector. This was causing leaks. I was literally trying to avoid leaks... I also HATE the method of using screw type hose clamps on air hoses. Just seems a bit too ******* for my taste. And I wanted to be able to repair leaking hoses with a more professional result.

And yes, I prefer to make my own custom length cables or hoses for audio, video, data, air, water etc...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts