Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some opinions on this chisel. I have read a lot of reviews and watched a video and think it might suit my needs. I do small turnings, pens and things 2" diameter and smaller. I don't have a great lathe (old Craftsman) but it suits my needs. I have never had good results with a skew. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looking for some opinions on this chisel. I have read a lot of reviews and watched a video and think it might suit my needs. I do small turnings, pens and things 2" diameter and smaller. I don't have a great lathe (old Craftsman) but it suits my needs. I have never had good results with a skew. Any help appreciated.
I have a 1/2" Spindle master and I think it's a beaut. It will do the job when other tools just can't . Just keep the bevel rubbing and keep it sharp. I was working on a salt & pepper set made out of very hi figure maple, this was the only tool that would cut it and not pull out the grain of the quilting. If you plan to turn smaller than 2" I would see if you could find a 3/8" tool.
Good luck and turn safe.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I have the 1/2" micro spindlemaster that was recommended for pens. I can't make it work. I know part of that is my lacke of skill, but it's frustrating never the less.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Just wondering how long one of these tools last? I watched the video and they mentioned that you hone the top op the tool and never grind the bevel. Seems to me that the tool would get pretty thin in a matter of a couple years depending on how much one turns huh?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Just takes a couple passes on a fine diamond stone to get these honed. Should last a long time. That said, I didn't care for it and sold mine.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I made my own out of a scraper, just put a 35 degree angle on it instead of an 85. The bonus is that since the bottom of my chisel is flat I can easily sharpen it on my grinder. I love it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts