Woodworking Talk banner

Son's Bed Build

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  mako1 
#1 ·
Been lurking for a while, and I've started to finally venture into more wood working, so I thought I would add a project I'm working on.

I've done a fair bit of rough construction (developing basement, worked as a framer back in high school, etc.) but haven't done much fine wood working. I have made a few headboards and sold them, but the quality isn't what I think I'm capable of. My wife and I are expecting our 2nd child in July, and I thought this would be a good way to get our first out of the crib and into a "big boy" bed and avoid having to buy another crib. By trade I'm an accountant, but I have always thought my calling was to work with my hands...so I'm hoping, that slowly but surely I can move away from that and get into word working building rustic furniture, etc.

I have primarily worked with pallet wood, and that is what I'm using for my sons bed (minus the rails and supports) I picked up a few, what I think are essential, tools. Very few power tools, but want to become efficient with joints with manual tools, before I venture into power tools.

Did a sketch of my plans and when to HD and managed to talk to an employee who claimed to have been a fine woodworker. Spoke to him for a long time about my plans. Eventually found out that he has only butt jointed his joints and glued and screwed, which I am trying to avoid, and he told me I'm probably biting off more than I can chew...so more motivation!

Don't mind the bench...it's on my list of things to get to! :eek:

Will add more pictures as I go!

Sketch. (footboard will be slightly different than the drawing)

First time using a plane:

Dry test fit:

See less See more
#5 ·
Glued up the posts last night. While they were clamped, I made my 1st M&T joint on some scraps...I don't own a router or table saw, so I will be making them by hand. Didn't measure too precise for the first one, and it was quite loose. Didn't another test one being more precise, still had a bit of wiggle room, but stayed in place under gravity.

Hope to do one more test, then work on the real pieces, then dry fit it together before staining.

Thanks for looking.

#8 ·
Dismantling it isn't too bad. Usually takes all but 10 minutes using a saws all and the right blade (spent a long time finding out which blade performs the best).

Straightening it is a pain...thankfully my source for pallets is good, and they are in decent to good condition, not lending to a lot of waste!

Where abouts in AB are you?

Looking good so far. Working with pallet wood must be a challenge, I mean dismantling it, straightening it, etc.

Nice to see another Albertan here too, :thumbsup:

#10 ·
Worked on fitting the dado's and making tenons for the side posts for a bit last night. Not too exciting update other than for myself...

Supposed to lows of minus 30-34 (-40 windchill) celcius over the weekend, so dont suspect I will get much work in in my unheated garage...:thumbsup:

#16 ·
Bed completed and he spent his first night in it last night.

Learned a ton during the process. First time building something with only hand tools and not using any screws or fasteners.

Next time I would make the headboard a little smaller...pretty grand for a double bed...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.