Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning folks. I am new to this forum, but have been building furniture for quite a while now. Attached are a few of the latest pieces: Walnut and maple chest of drawers (hand-dovetailed and mortise and tenon throughout), walnut, oak, and maple nightstand (hand-dovetailed and mortise and tenon throughout), Several Oak tables (made from recycled red oak flooring for my neighbor).

Attachments

Reactions: Chamfer

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I definitely prefer the dresser and vanity as well, but my wife had her input on some as well. I did change the pulls on the nightstand, and it looks better without the round ones on the door. The tables were built for a neighbor using recycled red oak flooring. He and his wife like them, so I am happy!

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Kramar,
You do very nice work. I like all the pieces you showed us.
Welcome to the forum. Tell us a little more about yourself, your shop and how you got into woodworking.

Reactions: kramar74

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the compliment. I guess I got into woodworking both as a necessity and an outlet. Years ago I worked in construction,framing, etc. In 2004 I bought a house that needed a TON of work. After the plumbing, rewiring, etc. I jumped headfirst into a set of custom kitchen cabinets (all hand-dovetailed wall cabinets). From there I moved into turning, furniture, etc. I tend to prefer "traditional" methods, hence most of my pieces are mortise and tenon, and hand dovetailing. The chest of drawers has 144 hand cut dovetails in it. Over the last few years, I started building guitars, mandolins, and 1 violin in between the furniture builds.

As for my shop - for right now (and much to my wife's dislike :laughing:) it is a standard two car garage. I should note, when I met her it was in the spare bedroom of my house, so it is a step up anyway....

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Kramar
You've got some patience with 144 hand cut dove tails.
Sounds like a lot of your experience has been on the job and self taught.
You will enjoy this forum.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Yes, 95% has been self taught. And WHOA the first few pieces looked , ummmm.... good at the time????!!! Lol. Great way to learn though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, for the most part everything was made from scratch on the stringed instruments, barring the fingerboards. Those were bought pre-slotted and then cut to size. I also bought the top for the guitar (western red cedar) however the mandolin top was made from quartersawn redwood (awesome tone BTW). I've attached a few pictures......

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts