Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all it's been a minute. Thought Id share a few from the new crop :)Quick question- anybody use those comfort mats that you stand on? for your feet? dont know what they are called so Im going with comfort mats... Do they work? Turning for 6 hour stretches is taking its toll on my heels... anyway... happy turnin all,
bond

Attachments

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Yes they work. I have them all over my shop. I also do 2 other things that help. My grinder is not real close to my lathe so I have to walk to it. I sharpen very often so that short walk relieves both my feet and my back pain. I take frequent breaks to just walk around the shop. My CA glue is in a cabinet about 10 feet away. I leave it there so I'm forced to walk.
Keep a short piece of 4x4 near the lathe. Prop one foot on that when it's convenient. that really relieves back pain.
Nice pieces you have turned. I really like the platter.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Bond A 10 out of10 on all fronts, shapes looks good, finish good and all that is missing is sizes and wood type well done. Tambotie

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
First, nice work! :thumbsup: I too use those mats. I have one at the lathe, one at the table saw and one at my workbench...the 3 areas where I spend the most time in the shop, and they do help. Got mine at Woodcraft. They discount price on 3 or more.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Nice work Bond! I like the cut edge FBE the best. Great job orienting the sapwood of the HF, it's really striking. Glad to see you are still hollowing.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Nice work Bond, All so beautiful :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nice work. I use the mats and a pair of "Crocs" clogs. These certainly work for me. You can get a set of mats at Sam's club that actually connect to use for a larger area if you choose.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Great works!
About the mats--I'm no spring chicken either--- I started with the ones that fit together like puzzle pieces (found at Big Lots--way cheaper) then I changed to larger rectangular mats that I found by accident at Tractor Supply. They're more $$ but since they're thicker and much heavier they work better for me-- no gapping or tripping and clean very easily. I haven't regretted making the change.
Dave H

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Nice work I'm a fan of a nice piece of box elder with good color. About the mats there are many grades of mats don't be cheap being sore has a price , you pay it. Farm / restraunt mats with the holes work well. One other note to get the most out of any of these mats give them a rest rotate them it gives them a chance to bounce back to life one other thing that you can do is put down a sheet of plywood under the mat and lathe concrete is Hard.

Jerry

·
Registered
763 Posts
JoshWood said:
:laughing:just stand on a big pile of saw dust. its sustainable and supportive.:laughing:
My thought too. Sometimes I forget what my floor looks like. I sweep out the shop when my lathe starts feeling too low.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts