Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the milling machine and metal lathe from a good friend of mine. I had built a wooden stand for the lathe earlier this year, and modified an old metal stand with some welding and wheels for the mill. Both were made in 1948, in the USA, with the original manuals and a lot of tooling. Spent a couple of days cleaning them up with some orange cleaner and WD40. Everything looks to be tight and works well. I put new belts on the milling machine. Had to take it half apart to change all three. Took the gearcase and drive gears off and cleaned them in the parts cleaner. They're just about ready to go. I just want to replace the power cords and they will be in business.
Mike Hawkins;)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also cleaned up an old manual drill press. It's actually pretty cool in the way it operates. As you turn it, there's a ratcheting mechanism that lowers the bit a click at a time. Had to make a nice piece of wood to clamp it to. Made by Miller Falls, USA. While I was in the mood, I took this old Hodaka motorcycles dealer sign I've had for a long time and made a wooden frame to mount it in. I had to trim some of the original sign off all the way around due to some pieces that were broken out. There were some cracks that I glued with CA glue and backed up with epoxy. Its made out of translucent plastic. Originally there were two sides like this one mounted on an aluminum core with lighting. It's about 3' x 5'.
Mike Hawkins;)

Attachments

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
I'm quite jealous of the mill and the lathe......one of these years i'd like to get one.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Nice machines Mike. My dad had a drill press like your MF only much larger and he adapted a slow speed motor to it.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys,
I like and really appreciate the old stuff. The lathe was actually a powercraft sold by Montgomery Wards. Hard to believe you could walk into a department store today and buy something like that. The milling machine was made by Atlas. The cool thing is the manuals. All the maintenance instructions are included along with parts blowups and prices for spares. Unbelievably cheap back then, as compared to now. Friends know I collect the smaller tools and every now and then one shows up. I wipe em off, see if they work, then hang them on the wall somewhere where they can be seen when people stop over. The lathe and mill I do plan to use.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
:thumbsup:Very nice I too like the older machines I restore them and use them. Do you know who made the lathe for Montgomery wards ? looks a lot like a Logan to me ? BTW here is my lathe ( 1936 southbend) still needing to make a proper bench for it someday

Attachments

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Oh very nice! :thumbsup:
I've wanted a metal lath and milling machine for years. I came so close to buying them from Harbor Freight many times. The lack of space was the only thing stopping me.
My employer got rid of a very large commercial lath that I could of bought for a song, but it would have taken up my whole garage and I would probably had to have fork lift to get it in. I think it was 3Ph anyway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Vintage Machine Info

If you are not already aware, you might visit OWWM.org (or Vintagemachinery.org) for a ton of information on the older equipment. Also, OWWM.org has very knowledgeable people to help you determine the manufacture date of your equipment and find documents for it.

Rob

·
Registered
653 Posts
I also think the lathe is a Logan. I also have a few Southbends and an Atlas. The SB's were made in 41 and 42.

Yours looks to be in good shape, good luck.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll go to the old machinery site and do some perusin'. Bisley, your machine looks nice refinished. Now, get to work on a fitting bench for that ol gal.
Mike;)

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Very cool fire,you are going to be grinning from ear to ear in say about...........a year or so?

If everything goes as it usually does,it takes a while for these kinds of things to fully settle in.Then one day,you'll walk over to it,flip a switch.....run a bushing or drill out a sleeve or?And you'll go,"dang that was quick/easy".Turn machine off and get on with your project.

Even though what I'm about to say only occurs here "maybe" 1/2 dz times a year...it still happens.Find covers for your machine tools.Your choices are many.Decide on longterm cvr or shorterm.Ours are very shorterm....there'll be something going on in shop.....hammerdrilling for fasteners for instance,that it just isn't prudent to not cvr them up.

On our Wade 8A,its a grill cvr.Fits it perfectly,a cheapy....but its short term.You can get vinyl as used in upholstery shops on the cheap too.We use right much of that.It's a lot nicer than the grill cvr material.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BW, I have a friend that has a boat cover shop. I could have him make something up easy enough. Good idea, I hadn't even thought of that.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
It's lunchtime and am sweating my gonads off..........to wit(I can use a break);

Love your lathe and mill,there's some things in life worth covering up.We keep our sheet metal equip cvrd up way more often than the machine stuff?It must be the way our air system is configured?Just sayin,we can cut out a whole kitchen in cabinet shop and theres almost no evidence on the machine tools......but look at the sheet metal stuff and its,well a magnet.

I know you're into old M/C's,check into the DC section of site and look at the English wheel I've got posted in one of those threads....well heck,will post it here.

Did a huge amt of work on this whole project.....it isn't quite finished.

Wood content;You would understand this.......words can't do justice to the connection between hammerforming sheetmetal and WW'ing.I was drawn to it like a moth to a litebulb,haha.

The very best of luck with your lathe/mill....you are going to LOVE having them!!!

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts