Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm told that women too can quite easily put laminate floor on their own and I'm a bit sick of various repairmen, they somehow mess up my house every single time, so I decided to take things into my own hands! ;) One of these fine gentlemen suggested that I purchase this thing, that there's no way I could do the flooring without it. Hmmm... So, I would really appreciate if you could give me some guidelines as to what tools and materials I need in order to floor my living room. Obviously, I need appropriate laminate. I know that much ;) But, please what else?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Before you start on your flooring, I would suggest watching all the videos you can on the how too's.

Miter saws are invaluable, but that one you posted is quite a overkill just for flooring. Don't know anything about this saw, and I am sure someone will chime in that is more skilled than I am about it also.

Am curious also about this one myself. But I do have a Miter and a Table saw to do the work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you are talking about laminate hardwood flooring then I would tend to get an inexpensive table saw. I did my family room a couple of years ago. I say table saw because inevitably you will get to the other wall and need to cut your last few boards lengthwise. I did it with a hand held circular saw and that stuck.

Table saws can easily be set up to cut the boards at 90 degrees. I would starting looking on craigslist. If you are only going to use it once, you should be able to get a saw for $100 that will work just fine.

As far as the nj stall, it's pretty easy to do. Just make sure that your first few rows are dead straight (use a chalk line). This will make things way easier as you assemble down the rows.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
A power say is definitely an aid when it comes to cutting laminate or any type of similar substance. However, it is NOT necessary.

If you can make an accurate cut with a hand saw, that will do perfectly well. As you lay the flooring the only cuts you are going to make are at the end of each run. Hopefully you will have it laid out so that a cut at the beginning of the run is unnecessary.

When you get to the wall at the end of the room you may (probably will) need to do a rip cut the get those last pieces to fit. A miter saw such as that suggested to you will not do this cut. Again, it can be done by hand saw, but this could be quite tedious.

It really depends upon just how much flooring that you are going to lay whether or not you need power equipment. Also many rental places have what you need for rent.

If you are judicious in selecting the flooring material the job will be relatively easy. Make sure that you purchase material that just snaps together and does not need any type of mechanical fasteners. The personnel in the sales department of the store where you purchase should be able to show you how to do the job.

George

·
Registered
26,896 Posts
Take your time and be careful. The "Thing" can bite. Keep your hands well away from the blade and hold the wood down firmly and cut slow. I would have to agree with kwolfe in that a table saw would be more versitile. It would cut the flooring to a particular width rather than just to width like the miter box. It would also allow you to cut out corners like you were notching around a wall into a doorway. You might also need a jig saw if you have any intricate cuts or there are any floor outlets to cut around.

As far as materials, other than the flooring you would need the vapor barrier. It's usually best to remove your quarter round trim or base molding prior to installing it. The molding usually tears up so you might do that now and see if you need some more. If you do remove base molding use a stud finder and only use a pry bar at the studs so you don't make holes in the walls.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts