Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I’ve wanted a shelf over my saw to put my blades & saw accessories and today I finally decided to do it.

I didn’t want to take a lot of time or spend a lot of money so I bought a couple of 2x3s with some peg board and threw it together with the least amount of cuts possible. It was supposed to be a 5 minute job and turned into a 5 hr job because it did not fit. I bought a 4ft wide peg board and didn't want to cut it down even though I only needed 3ft.

Now I have to cut it down to 3ft and the shop is totally in shambles. Plus It ended up interfering with my dust collection system and I have to deal with that too.

I just had to take a break because it looks so hopeless out there right now. Too save some time, I’m thinking about running the whole assembled shelf through my table saw to cut off a foot. I don’t know how that’s going to go, but I may also have to redesign the dust collection since I have apart.

I may have to wait until tomorrow because it’s raining and I need to open the garage door to cut the shelf. So I’m drinking some coffee and trying to collect my thoughts on planning it out and I'm in the middle of other stuff that I can't do right now. Maybe I should have stayed in bed on this cold rainy day.:blink:

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Some days are diamonds, some days are coal. Know the feeling exactly - take another whack at it after a day or so. Did just that with my band saw- beat my head against the wall for several hours, :furious:gave up. Next day it practically solved itself. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the rain stopped and the sun came out so I cut it all in one piece. I admit that it was a little scary, but went fine although I almost ruined my blade because I forgot about a couple of screw. I had to stop after cutting into it about an inch to remove the screws.:eek:

I decided not to fool with the dust collection for now, maybe another day. Anyway its looks like it’s going to work and I already put some stuff on it. :yes:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Looks to me like you should've just cut it to 3' from the start. Even if you took off the width of the 2x3s, it looks like your dust collector's still in the way.

I may be looking at the pic wrong, but that's what I see. Maybe a break will do some good so you can go at it with a clear picture tomorrow.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Now with the second pic it looks more roomy! Perspective is everything. Looking good!

Edit: didn't see where you said you cut it down. Still looking good!

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This one's a real head scratcher. Got me baffled. :yes:

So, you did some measurements, and then prepared a rough sketch. From that you made a materials list and a cut list. And then you assembled. What could have gone wrong???:eek:

LOL, well I actually did not measure the width and just went with the width of the peg board. I was just going to use the peg board hooks, but when I was looking in my wood shed I found a couple of 3' wood shelves. I should have cut off a foot right then when I decided to use them, but it would mean taking it apart and I just wanted it to be done. It wasn't until I ran into the dust collection that I realized I had a problem.

Actually it would have been 3' except that when I went to Home Depot for the peg board because that's what I had on my mind. The guy working in the Lumber dept was cutting 2" blocks on the panel saw and he was doing as many as he could get out of an 8' board. I felt like I was disturbing him from they way he was acting and when he stopped in the middle to help me, I just said cut it in half so I could get out of there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts