Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Those look great! I'm a sucker for anything that has walnut and maple (assuming that's what those are). I especially like the edge profile you put on there and the way you matched up the knot and crotch on the last one!

·
Registered
611 Posts
michakur said:
Awesome work
What he said.

The chopsticks thread had me thinking that that is the direction I should go for Christmas gifts. Now I'm thinking cutting boards. I hope nobody builds an armoire here!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the nice compliments. The two thick ones are made of Curly Maple, Black Walnut, and Purple Heart. The third one is Black Walnut and Ash.

My wife keeps trying to steal the one with the Purple Heart in it, even though the one she already has is only a few weeks old!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Nice work! I'm glad my wife doesn't see these. I started my attempts to building her a board ooooh, about 2 years ago. First one i did with red oak from lowes which I didn't not like. I've since taken her to pick out wood twice to make a new one, but the wood is still sleeping in the closet. :/

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chsdiyer said:
Nice work! I'm glad my wife doesn't see these. I started my attempts to building her a board ooooh, about 2 years ago. First one i did with red oak from lowes which I didn't not like. I've since taken her to pick out wood twice to make a new one, but the wood is still sleeping in the closet. :/
Get on it!!!

PS> all, I could use some more likes on my new Facebook page. Bkbuilds custom woodworks thanks!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I did the exact same thing, though I sourced the wood from Home Despots. Big mistake. Only later did I learn, probably on this board, that oak is not good material for cutting boards. For one thing it splinters too easily. I had the grains running in opposite directions on adjacent pieces, making it impossible to plane in the optimal direction for adjacent pieces. And it is my understanding that oak is not as dense, therefore more dangerous in terms of food-borne bacteria lingering.

I finally got it to looking pretty decent but it was challenging. The project raised my knowledge and skills on hand planing, but given the dangers of bacteria I gave it to my obnoxious neighbor hoping it would kill her.

:shuriken:

No luck yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts