Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a few new bowls ready for farmers market in the morning.
2 pics of each: 15" catalpa, 9" NE catalpa, 16" NE American elm, 13" NE catalpa, 16.5" American elm (which I posted before).
The smaller NE catalpa bowl is going to the turning friend who generously shared his wood haul with me last week.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Great bowls!
Really like the grain in the catalpa.
I did a market days near here in Goliad today--sold 3 mesquite bowls and made an auction donation to a Volunteer Fireman function.
Wasn't too much this time, but got good ideas for upcoming "market" items.
Dave H

Reactions: Bonanza35

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
pburri said:
Very nice work. Do you have any trouble keeping the bark from flaking off? Paul
Not usually. Conventional thought is that wood harvested in the fall holds its bark better but frankly I haven't seen a big difference. As long as it's freshly cut and green it seems to stay on ok.

hearthole said:
How did you finish the bowls? There nice
The catalpa salad bowl is finished in pure tung oil. The NE catalpa without the bark has a rattle can lacquer finish. The others are MinWax Tung Oil Finish.

pburri said:
Beautiful work! I am interested - how long does it take you to make one of those bowls and what do you get for it at a Farmer's Market? Paul
Thanks. The smaller bowl probably took just shy of 2 hours and the others between 2 and 3 hours. A more experienced turner could do it faster but I'm not there yet. Much longer and you risk cracks and warping before you are done as they were all turned green to finished. Of course harvesting, prepping, and finishing take additional time. This thread was started last September so all but one of them are gone now, prices ranging from $135 - $175 I believe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.