Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Village Idiot
4,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says, anybody have a special way to put a solid wood bottom/top panel into a box? On a smaller box, less that 6 inches wide, ive just glued a solid wood panel into a half-lap frame, and because the piece was so small i didnt have any issues with expansion popping a joint. Problem is, im guessing theres be a few issues on a slightly larger joint.

For the purposes of this exercise, lets assume a box 3 feet long, 1 foot wide, 2 inches tall, box jointed corners. How do you slip the top and bottom panels in in such a way that seasonal movement doesnt destroy it?

And before someone says it, no, plywoods not an option. Ive got plenty of walnut, but no walnut ply

·
Smart and Cool
1,941 Posts
Either dado, or half dado it in and let it float is the way I would do it.

Dado would cause the bottom to be inset as you would need material to support the bottom. With a half dado you could make the bottom, flush with the bottom.

·
Registered
12,543 Posts

Dado would cause the bottom to be inset as you would need material to support the bottom. With a half dado you could make the bottom, flush with the bottom.
How would you float a 1/2 dado?

George

·
where's my table saw?
27,751 Posts
/QUOTE]

How would you float a 1/2 dado?

George
Seems to me a "half dado" is a rabbett. There is no support underneath for the bottom... so what's the advantage? Regardless, the wood expands/moves across it's width, so the issue on a 12" wide box, how much? Assuming the wood grain on the bottom runs lengthwise, using a glued dado on the long sides and a dry/floated dado on the widths, you should be fine. You can rabbett the edges on all sides to reduce the size of the dado.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts