Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wood Mangler
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine wants me to make her a bookcase from cherry, but she wants solid wood, not ply. I figure the carcase and the top are simple enough, but if I dado and glue the shelves in place, her idea not mine, am I going to have to worry about this thing breaking at the glue joints with humidity?

·
Registered
834 Posts
As long if you use solid cherry for the selves you should have no problems.
One of my first projects was a book case made from maple constructed the same way your talking about and hasn't had a problem yet and it's been about 4 years now.

Reactions: hedorah99

·
Registered
404 Posts
How deep of a bookshelf? Nothing wrong with solid wood, as long as you do leave for movement. keep in mind that endgrain has little holding power when gluded. they can but may not move.Personally I would use ply for the carcass and 1 fixed shelf, and make the shelves solid and adjustable with a face frame around the entire unit to hide the ply edges and keep unit square during assembly.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
How deep of a bookshelf? Nothing wrong with solid wood, as long as you do leave for movement. keep in mind that endgrain has little holding power when gluded. they can but may not move.Personally I would use ply for the carcass and 1 fixed shelf, and make the shelves solid and adjustable with a face frame around the entire unit to hide the ply edges and keep unit square during assembly.
+1.:yes:

·
Registered
28,404 Posts
If you are meticulous in making good joints you shouldn't have any trouble with making the bookcase. It's just difficult sometimes to make good glue joints in long parts. You might spline, dowel or biscuit the joints on the side panels. In the 19th century and earlier most bookcases were made from solid wood.

·
Wood Mangler
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's going to be 11 1/4" inches deep. Each shelf with be in a 3/8" dado.

·
Registered
598 Posts
My son still has a bookcase that I built for him about 30 years ago. It's solid oak, & the shelves are dadoed into the sides. Actually I guess they're shoulder dado joints, i.e., the tongue that fits into the sides is thinner than the shelf material. It survived his childhood & several moves with him after he moved out. It's still solid, so I think your construction will be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.