Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
FrankC said:
Sadly at the rate technology is advancing in home entertainment by the time your cabinet has become an heirloom no one will even remember what such a cumbersome piece of furniture was used for.
Do you think some day only woodworkers will have heirloom furniture in their homes. The last 3 million dollar home I did work for was full of new furniture from a high class store and it was such a sad example of craftsmanship. Mostly to be seen not sat on or enjoyed.

Al

·
Registered
152 Posts
If your interested in quality furniture and live in Boston. You should check out the Thomas Moser showroom. They build very high quality furniture. Also very expensive. Or look at Stickley. Stickley is probably also available in a furniture store near you. Even if you don't buy either brand you can get an idea of what to look for. Also while looking, if you want something nice, avoid a company that doesn't offer or steers you away from dovetail drawer boxes. That would indicate compromise in other areas of the furniture. Take your time. And enjoy your furniture shopping.

·
Premium Member
5,706 Posts
Do you think some day only woodworkers will have heirloom furniture in their homes. The last 3 million dollar home I did work for was full of new furniture from a high class store and it was such a sad example of craftsmanship. Mostly to be seen not sat on or enjoyed.

Al
What I am saying is that entertainment centers rapidly lose their functionality as the components that they are built to hold change. A 60" flat screen will not fit in the hole built for a 32" CRT.
A sound bar will replace most of the other components it was built to hold, as a functional piece of furniture it becomes obsolete very quickly.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
any peice of furniture's useful life is typically determined by style rather than quality.

Functional requirements are an added burden to an entertainment center's staying power. Even now, with wall mounted flat screens, the concept of an entertainment console has shifted, more and more the components are tucked into a cabinet or closet out of sight.

If you think hardwoods and joinery make something "heirloom quality", so be it.

Clocks and traditional dining room furniture are 2 things that dont seem to change.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Tim G said:
If your interested in quality furniture and live in Boston. You should check out the Thomas Moser showroom. They build very high quality furniture. Also very expensive. Or look at Stickley. Stickley is probably also available in a furniture store near you. Even if you don't buy either brand you can get an idea of what to look for. Also while looking, if you want something nice, avoid a company that doesn't offer or steers you away from dovetail drawer boxes. That would indicate compromise in other areas of the furniture. Take your time. And enjoy your furniture shopping.
Thos. Moser is one of my idles. I've been building his furniture for over 30 years from one of his books, Measured Shop Drawings. He has written quite a bit on Shaker and Shaker inspired furniture building. If the shop goes up in flames I grab his books and throw them on my work bench as I drag them all to safety.

Al

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
FrankC said:
What I am saying is that entertainment centers rapidly lose their functionality as the components that they are built to hold change. A 60" flat screen will not fit in the hole built for a 32" CRT.
A sound bar will replace most of the other components it was built to hold, as a functional piece of furniture it becomes obsolete very quickly.
Right. I was just tossing that out as an addition to your statement as all woodworking seems to be a dying art.

Al

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
bauerbach said:
any peice of furniture's useful life is typically determined by style rather than quality.

Functional requirements are an added burden to an entertainment center's staying power. Even now, with wall mounted flat screens, the concept of an entertainment console has shifted, more and more the components are tucked into a cabinet or closet out of sight.

If you think hardwoods and joinery make something "heirloom quality", so be it.

Clocks and traditional dining room furniture are 2 things that dont seem to change.
I agree. I have all my components tucked away with the tv being the only one you can see. My bet is on the dining room furniture too. Seems even the rocker has run its course.

Al

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'd add baby furniture to the list of things that could be passed down. When my son was born, my father made us a beautiful cradle. I'd definately love to hand that down.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
could be... there seems to be a never ending list of safety requirements for cribs that most cribs even 10 years old lack. spacing of posts, movable base, probably a zillion other things that Im unaware of.

·
Registered
527 Posts
could be... there seems to be a never ending list of safety requirements for cribs that most cribs even 10 years old lack. spacing of posts, movable base, probably a zillion other things that Im unaware of.
Yeah, I'd stay away from the cribs too. My son wasn't able to do much in the cradle. They really don't last long before they out grow them anyways. Something like a changing table or dresser would get alot of use.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Ah, here we go again... So you can't make a piece of heirloom furniture using "... drawer slides, pocket screws, nails ..." Of course you can! Just because I rely on new technology (pocket screws, pin nailers, low voc finish, etc.) doesn't mean it can't be heirloom or fine furniture quality. You use good material with the technology available to you and you can turn out a piece of heirloom furniture the same as I have been doing for the last 15 years.
Sorry, but if I'm a consumer looking for an heirloom piece of furniture, I don't want pocket screws or a pin nailer anywhere near it.

Pocket screws and pin nailers serve their purpose, and are perfectly adequate for most furniture bought today, but not for something I would want handed down in another 50-60 years.

That is, of course, my opinion. It is not a stated fact. What is a fact is that a bridle corner joint is significantly stronger than a pocket screw joint, which implies that it would tend to last longer in use than a pocket screw. Pocket screw joints are only marginally better than butt joints.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
bauerbach said:
Couldn't pay me enough to make one. I don't know how I would ever get over it if some child got hurt.

Al

·
Registered
200 Posts
George C - the phrase you had the ?????? about was from a movie...Men In Black, when Agents K and J were interviewing Edgar's wife about the Bug who ate Edgar and turned him into an Edgar suit.

·
Registered
26,202 Posts

Al
A couple months ago a customer had me take some furniture they had and repair it since legs were coming off the tables and the chairs were coming unglued. When I took a closer look at it I discovered the furniture still had the price tags on them. They were un-used.

·
Premium Member
5,706 Posts
Having visited some friends lately that downsized from a single dwelling home to a new condo I don't know where they would put a large entertainment center. They brought a 60" TV with them and it is impossible to sit a comfortable distance from it. The living room, dining room and kitchen is one long narrow room with an entry door and window at one end and a patio door at the other end.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts